A Guide to British Vehicle Markings

SquireBev

2 hours ago, Pete Ashby said:

I think there are two possibilities for the location of of the photo the Div sign is for the 2nd Div and by the style of uniform worn by the chap in the photo I'd suggest it's  tropical kit either in Burma 1944, or Malaya at the end of 1945.  There is one other possibility as 5th Brigade group of this Div went on Army of occupation duties in Japan  

Not aware he served in Japan, but maybe Malaya because I have a photo of his showing a 105 mm Pack Howitzer taken in Malaya, which I will post in due course.

Another WWII photo.

This looks like a Morris Commercial undergoing wading training in the desert. Or may just an excuse to cool down in water.

Canvas around the front to slow water ingress into engine compartment and RAF roundel for aircraft recognition.

Caption on rear of photo is: This one sunk and had to be pushed out.

image.png.bab0bc8e46a586046ad952b9ed333d31.png

57 minutes ago, B series said:

Another WWII photo.

This looks like a Morris Commercial undergoing wading training in the desert. Or may just an excuse to cool down in water.

Canvas around the front to slow water ingress into engine compartment and RAF roundel for aircraft recognition.

Caption on rear of photo is: This one sunk and had to be pushed out.

image.png.bab0bc8e46a586046ad952b9ed333d31.png

So is that a rope or hose that the chap is holding?

What is this vehicle?  This looks like a 15 or 30 Cwt size, but the curved top corners to the windscreen I cannot place, and the windscreen is quite upright & shallow. (kind of 1990's Humvee). Also the central screen upright is quite wide for some reason.

Photo caption on rear is: Les Leary driving, myself waving from back.

image.png.46f897c98deddbd13080eaf47268f7a6.png

Here another photo of same truck taken at a different time.

Could this be a CMP with No 13 cab, fitted with a locally sourced windscreen?

Photo caption is:  Myself driving just about to enter the water, made it through alright.

image.png.d2b60bc541673573d78dde8a92984498.png

B Series

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

These last two photos, body looks like a CMP but windscreen looks like one on a Humber FV1600.

There appears to be a CMP truck in the distant background in one photo.

Richard,

As a FV1600 owner, I can see where you are coming from with the curved windscreen, but these photo's predate the FV1600 design. This batch of photo's were taken 39-45 in North Africa as far as is known. Also I forget to mention in my original post, not so easy to see on the copied photo, but there is a small white 5 pointed star on the side door, near where I guess the door handle would be.  

B series

10 minutes ago, B series said:

Richard,

As a FV1600 owner, I can see where you are coming from with the curved windscreen, but these photo's predate the FV1600 design. This batch of photo's were taken 39-45 in North Africa as far as is known. Also I forget to mention in my original post, not so easy to see on the copied photo, but there is a small white 5 pointed star on the side door, near where I guess the door handle would be.  

B series

Ah OK, I thought the photos might have been from the 1950’s. Will have a rethink. Rear body does look CMP though. If there is a star and in N Africa then it indicates a US vehicle, maybe .....

I think the truck going into the water trough is a No 43 cab Chevrolet or Ford Gun Portee for the 6lb A/T gun the screen could be folded flat to enable the gun to go into action forward.  Having said all that the rear body doesn't look right it shouls be a 7H1 body which was basically a flat platform with tubular hood frame and I can see a tail gate and full sides, perhaps re bodied  as GS at some point by local workshops??

Pete

Additional:  The 43 cab was also used for Bofors gun mounts only on Fords I think designated as F60B's.

Edited by Pete Ashby

On 7/1/2020 at 8:05 AM, Pete Ashby said:

I think the truck going into the water trough is a No 43 cab Chevrolet or Ford Gun Portee for the 6lb A/T gun the screen could be folded flat to enable the gun to go into action forward.  Having said all that the rear body doesn't look right it shouls be a 7H1 body which was basically a flat platform with tubular hood frame and I can see a tail gate and full sides, perhaps re bodied  as GS at some point by local workshops??

Pete

Additional:  The 43 cab was also used for Bofors gun mounts only on Fords I think designated as F60B's.

In light of your comments, how about it is a regular CMP with  GS body, with No 13 cab, that has been fitted with a windscreen frame assy  from a Gun Portee vehicle.  I guess it might depend on how similar the No 13 and No 43 cabs are in the windscreen / cab mounting area.

B Series.

16 hours ago, B series said:

In light of your comments, how about it is a regular CMP with  GS body, with No 13 cab, that has been fitted with a windscreen frame assy  from a Gun Portee vehicle.  I guess it might depend on how similar the No 13 and No 43 cabs are in the windscreen / cab mounting area.

B Series.

I fairly certain it's a 43 pattern cab because these were a modified front end construction  being wider to take four men in the cab. A number of these trucks were taken out of service and refitted with GS bodies after the concept of transported A/T guns was went out of fashion in favor of the 17pdr trailed gun, the Bofors mounted variants continued in service however.

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Ashby said:

I fairly certain it's a 43 pattern cab because these were a modified front end construction  being wider to take four men in the cab. A number of these trucks were taken out of service and refitted with GS bodies after the concept of transported A/T guns was went out of fashion in favor of the 17pdr trailed gun, the Bofors mounted variants continued in service however.

Pete

I am not familiar with the 43 cab, but the one in the photo does look wide, I recon you are correct.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great subject and just about to pop over to your website to have a look, but before I do I just wanted to say that the 11th Armd Div table posted at the beginning of this thread is wrong for the RE units 13th FD Sqn and 612 Fd Sqn. They are the wrong way round. Easy enough mistake if we assume that 13 Fd Sqn has seniority but in fact 612 Fd Sqn has seniority because it used to be 12 Fd Sqn when it was first assigned to 11th Armoured. It was renamed to 612 Fd Sqn  about 1942/43.

11 hours ago, Old Git said:

Great subject and just about to pop over to your website to have a look, but before I do I just wanted to say that the 11th Armd Div table posted at the beginning of this thread is wrong for the RE units 13th FD Sqn and 612 Fd Sqn. They are the wrong way round. Easy enough mistake if we assume that 13 Fd Sqn has seniority but in fact 612 Fd Sqn has seniority because it used to be 12 Fd Sqn when it was first assigned to 11th Armoured. It was renamed to 612 Fd Sqn  about 1942/43.

It looks like it's been taken from Jean Bouchery's The British Soldier from D-Day to VE-Day - on the whole a very useful book, but sadly notorious for minor errors like this.

And now, at the risk of opening a massive can of worms regarding errors and omissons, my first attempt at diagrams for the 79th Armoured Division. Just snapshots for now - I'm still working on a timeline to show regiment and brigade movements, like the one for independent brigades posted higher up the page.

If anyone can offer any more sources regarding regiment movements, please do! I'm getting bogged down flicking between Bellis booklets, with some regiments either being in two places at once, or disappearing completely!

https://tank-markings.blogspot.com/p/79th-armoured-division.html

UK+-+Europe+-+79th+Armoured+Division+-+J

UK+-+Europe+-+79th+Armoured+Division+-+N

5 hours ago, SquireBev said:

It looks like it's been taken from Jean Bouchery's The British Soldier from D-Day to VE-Day - on the whole a very useful book, but sadly notorious for minor errors like this.

Agreed, a very useful set off books but some of the errors are very frustrating. That particular error caused me a bit of trouble till I worked it out!

We really need a sub-forum called Book errors or something like that. Each new thread is a book title and when someone finds an error in a particular book they make a post in the relevant thread, or start a thread for that book if one does not already exist. Only for reference books, not for every single book ever published mind!

• 2 weeks later...