1929 Leyland SQ2 WW8761

Scrunt & Farthing

• 2 months later...

Regular readers of this thread will recall my grandmother’s indifference to her relative being knocked over and fatally injured by an omnibus.  My Grandmother had a great many indifferences, notably my grandfather, foreigners, her neighbours, and anyone who sought to help her.  And most particularly cocky children.  I was categorised such.  

On our infrequent visits to my grandmother, we would listen patiently to a list of new enemies, new injustices and petty prejudices.    I would while away my time studying her collection of ornaments and wondering how a woman filled with so much bile and malcontent for the world around her could find pleasure in a figurine of a kitten that looked so unlike its prototype that I wondered if the sculptor had ever actually seen a kitten.  And so my grandmother’s collection of ornamental tat was curated.  The tackier and gaudier the better.  

And then this popped up on ebay.  A radiator cap so magnificent (except the price) that suddenly I could see the attraction of shiny ornaments.  I only now need to screw a lorry to it and I will be done. 

In the meantime I shall place it on my mantelpiece.   I might have been a cocky child but I have every right to be having secured such a rare and hard to find lorry part. Hurrah for ornaments.  Hurrah for ebay!

RADCAP.thumb.jpg.020698b99dabd8b673842c81008370ff.jpg

Edited by Scrunt & Farthing
  • Like 5

I do Doug.  The vendor sent me a lovely email via ebay, after my purchase, telling me it was a from a Leyland in Ashbourne in Derbyshire.  His late grandfather-in-law drove the lorry and kept this as a memento.  It has been in the family ever since.  I am enormously pleased to buy it, know the history and eventually fit it to my lorry.   I did not think i would ever find one.  I know I shall have to make a lot of the lorry, copying parts etc.  But this is so rare I had pretty much concluded that I would make a simple screw cap.

46 minutes ago, Scrunt & Farthing said:

I do Doug.  The vendor sent me a lovely email via ebay, after my purchase, telling me it was a from a Leyland in Ashbourne in Derbyshire.  His late grandfather-in-law drove the lorry and kept this as a memento.  It has been in the family ever since.  I am enormously pleased to buy it, know the history and eventually fit it to my lorry.   I did not think i would ever find one.  I know I shall have to make a lot of the lorry, copying parts etc.  But this is so rare I had pretty much concluded that I would make a simple screw cap.

When you screw it on your lorry rad.  -  it sounds like you will need more than a couple of nylon Tie-Wraps as security  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxy said:

When you screw it on your lorry rad.  -  it sounds like you will need more than a couple of nylon Tie-Wraps as security  ?

I was recently at the Australian National Vehicle Museum in Birdwood SA to study the ultra rare Summit car on display and noticed the good way to stop sticky fingers from removing the radiator caps and mascot from the cars.  A fine stainless steel wire crimped around the cap/mascot and affixed under the bonnet.  I thought it was a great idea.  For interest sake, look up the 'Summit' car on the web.  I have parts of one and there are only a very few left in existence world wide.

IMG_9529.JPG

3 minutes ago, lynx42 Rick Cove said:

I was recently at the Australian National Vehicle Museum in Birdwood SA to study the ultra rare Summit car on display and noticed the good way to stop sticky fingers from removing the radiator caps and mascot from the cars.  A fine stainless steel wire crimped around the cap/mascot and affixed under the bonnet.  I thought it was a great idea. 

Now that is a neat trick.  I had noodled on how to protect the cap, not only from the light fingered but also it winding itself off.  An old family friend, Colin Durham, who some may know as the owner of the ex-Jersey MT Guy Arab, always removed the radiator cap and he had sat on his fireplace for years.  I spent many evenings as a lad in his front room admiring that.

Thanks for the idea.

1 hour ago, lynx42 Rick Cove said:

A fine stainless steel wire crimped around the cap/mascot and affixed under the bonnet. 

With a little more engineering it could be connected to the inside of the radiator and to a swivel inside the cap, so that it would be invisible, and also effective when driving. 

9 hours ago, andypugh said:

With a little more engineering it could be connected to the inside of the radiator and to a swivel inside the cap, so that it would be invisible, and also effective when driving. 

A good point, Andy.  And since we have to make new top and bottom tanks it can be incorporated into it.  Some good points here. Thanks.

12 hours ago, lynx42 Rick Cove said:

I was recently at the Australian National Vehicle Museum in Birdwood SA to study the ultra rare Summit car on display and noticed the good way to stop sticky fingers from removing the radiator caps and mascot from the cars.  A fine stainless steel wire crimped around the cap/mascot and affixed under the bonnet.  I thought it was a great idea.  For interest sake, look up the 'Summit' car on the web.  I have parts of one and there are only a very few left in existence world wide.

IMG_9529.JPG

I am certain I have heard of  SUMMIT Cars previously  ,  must be  RARE  as I have just tried  Gooooogling up ,   using a few terms such as  Summit Car Manuf.  etc. etc.  - can't find anything ,  need to put on extra layers to defeat a hard frost as I have to jack a vehicle up on drive (at least it is dry) , will have another go to find history this evening.

11 hours ago, ruxy said:

I am certain I have heard of  SUMMIT Cars previously  ,  must be  RARE  as I have just tried  Gooooogling up ,   using a few terms such as  Summit Car Manuf.  etc. etc.  - can't find anything ,  need to put on extra layers to defeat a hard frost as I have to jack a vehicle up on drive (at least it is dry) , will have another go to find history this evening.

I do not want to derail this great thread but try Googling '1922 Summit Car Company' or just look at the site:-  https://graham64.wordpress.com/2015/10/29/1924-summit/.        This is an inverted chassis showing the Fredrickson ACME suspension system.

IMG_9310.JPG

• Like 1