What colour Paint

Not sure if this is in the right forum, I have just bought this lamp for the land rover, it looks as though its unused and been badly stored, half of me says clean the just off and paint the other half says leave alone.

The question I have is what colour paint is it? BS number would help if I say it looks gloss mud would that help?

richard

IMG_20200104_164430.jpg

Looks to me as if somebody has done a blast with soft media , then used a rattle-can of Hammerite NO. 1 Primer  (pink) ,,   has that cable grommet not been sprayed, photograph not great but cable seems begrimed with paint at odd spots.  the lens looks a bit sus. with overspray but you would think it would have been removed , was it prior smeared with grease  ?

9 minutes ago, ruxy said:

Looks to me as if somebody has done a blast with soft media , then used a rattle-can of Hammerite NO. 1 Primer  (pink) ,,   has that cable grommet not been sprayed, photograph not great but cable seems begrimed with paint at odd spots.  the lens looks a bit sus. with overspray but you would think it would have been removed , was it prior smeared with grease  ?

I have got one of those somewhere, bought it years ago NOS WD surplus and they were a beige colour. I don't think that is a rubber grommet, think it is a metal ferrule, hence why it is painted. These lamps date back to WW2

I have had another look after the comments, the "grommet" is actually metal, the spots on the cable are rust, no signs of grease, the hollow core also appears to be the same colour, need to clean some rust out of there.

My go to B and Q to see if that paint machine can help

They have been on eBay for years , seen them on stalls at MV shows , yes same colour but often with rust spots bursting through.  The card boxes they come in often show signs of damp storage.  They used to be very common - £ has been climbing these last few years..   The dash panel sockets - the asbestos card insulator strip , I have had them crumble to dust in my fingers , make certain there is a in-line fuse  !    I think I would just use No.1 Primer as finish colour is about right.

10 hours ago, ruxy said:

They have been on eBay for years , seen them on stalls at MV shows , yes same colour but often with rust spots bursting through.  The card boxes they come in often show signs of damp storage.  They used to be very common - £ has been climbing these last few years..   The dash panel sockets - the asbestos card insulator strip , I have had them crumble to dust in my fingers , make certain there is a in-line fuse  !    I think I would just use No.1 Primer as finish colour is about right.

Thanks for the advice will try and find a wiring diagram to see which fuse is relevant

Defender / Tithonus may be different ,  up to Series 3 the inspection lamp line Ex-Works did not have fuse protection.

They may be CES kit listed  ?

Sales pushed with the two words Land Rover ,  however I have never seen them listed as 'Optional Equipment' in Civilian catalogues.  Can't say I have seen any specific mention in S3  Military User Instructions , would have to check S2A.

They were  Lucas & probably made over a 20 year period ,  IIRC some BIG cars were supplied new with them.

The 'inspection lamp sockets' are "historic"  ,  

For punctures in the dark etc.  You need such as a  COAST  rechargeable LED Head-Torch  High 270 Lumens / Low 85 Lumens    £20 would be very £ expensive.     My son 2 was using one for mountain biking in the dark , then  - it seems much more powerful  & two X'mas ago he got me one  (imported from China) .  The elastic strap just says  HEAD LAMP Can't find the box / instructions just now  - I give to son to re-charge , it is USB port re-charching and with Lithium battery(s)..

The better Inspection Lamps & Head Lamps now are  COB  (chip on board) ,  Son 2 says to me  - There are Lumens and Chinese Lumens  !

Interior map lamp   &  trailing lead / tent lamp  - since late 1970's - I have made my own using projector lamp bulbs that were originally intended for Carl Schenck balancing machines.     I have  the proper Defender  Hella   'military' map lamps , been intending to look into converting to LED.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

These lamps are still in use as part of the CES for Cvrt, they are not listed on the CES for Defender or Wolf. They do sell for ridiculous money on eBay, don't know why as they aren't particularly rare.

The colour is correct and the 'lens is actually a shade to keep the light out of you eyes when using it.

A friend of mine who has a militarization shop has quite a few of these lights, but the plugs had all been cut off, apparently the plugs are very sought after by certain classic car owners.

I do have some new plugs available if anyone is interested.

The two-pin plugs did go scarce and copy ones are shoddy fitting.   You can get  ;genuine;  new Lucas ones now  - the type with knurled nuts for securing the wires (probably manufactured by TVS-Lucas in India).   ISTR these lamps could be had with same size two-pin but connections covered - similar to domestic 240 volt round pin.    I would rather hide a quality waterproofed fitting  ,  such as used in boat cockpit / ski-boat.   The original red/black sockets are only good for period decoration.  Land Rover bulkheads etc. not noted as good for preventing ingress of water  LoL

Edited by ruxy
spelin

2 hours ago, johnwardle said:

These lamps are still in use as part of the CES for Cvrt, they are not listed on the CES for Defender or Wolf. They do sell for ridiculous money on eBay, don't know why as they aren't particularly rare.

The colour is correct and the 'lens is actually a shade to keep the light out of you eyes when using it.

A friend of mine who has a militarization shop has quite a few of these lights, but the plugs had all been cut off, apparently the plugs are very sought after by certain classic car owners.

I do have some new plugs available if anyone is interested.

Good  info.  to know -  ref.  CES   -  I have often wondered , knew they were in MOD type packaging -  I had pondered that they were intended for Civil Defence.    A bit like the filters for IR switched  FV headlamp units ,  never seen them go  £ cheap -  possibly there are  Nissen huts on some isolated camp under care & maintenance  -  filled to the gunnels with them ?  , then someday they will be dumped on the market.