German Vehicle ?

C Battery

Can anyone identify this German Vehicle?

It was shot up and abandoned shortly after D-Day.

Seated is my father Harold Fowler of 409 Squadron , RCAF , who helped repair it for use on and around their Airbase.

Unseen is the RAF/RCAF Roundel painted on the open door.

Kübelwagen: a militarised VW Beetle. For many years it was dead easy to get hold of Kübelwagen kits (thinking particularly 1970s) and fit them to any old Beetle chassis.

Also available in amphibious form as Schwimmfähiger Geländewagen (swimming-capable cross-country vehicle), usually abbreviated to Schwimmwagen.

Good question. I've seen that superb Tankograd book on British vehicles in Nazi service - but dunno if there is an opposite version anywhere. It's always good to see snaps and although we are primarily a MV site - I'm sure we all agree that any relevant pix you may have and want to share will be welcomed.

MB

Good question. I've seen that superb Tankograd book on British vehicles in Nazi service - but dunno if there is an opposite version anywhere. It's always good to see snaps and although we are primarily a MV site - I'm sure we all agree that any relevant pix you may have and want to share will be welcomed.

MB

The armoured regiment of Guards Armoured Division in 1944 - 45 (which memory suggests was a battalion of Coldstream Guards) captured a Panther, took it on strength, called it Cuckoo (for obvious reasons) and used it to lead the advance: always gained them a few seconds in the first contact and with that L/70 75mm gun, it didn't miss.

Cannot remember for the life of me after all these years where that little gem came from.

• 2 months later...

Aye, it broke its fuel pump, just east of Kleve, Germany, during Opperation Veritable, whilst being used by 6th Guards Tank Brig.

For more, see

http://www.twenot.nl/cuckoo.htm

For those not au fait with Panther, the following needs clarifying:

This unit mainly consisted of Panther Ausf G tanks, the earliest version. These tanks (and this includes Cuckoo) were not yet supplied with the so-called “chin” on the gunmantlet (Geänderter Walzenblende in verstärkter Abweisserleiste) nor the raised air inlet fan cover on the left hand site of the engine deck.

The Ausf G was the last model of Panther (Ausf D, A and G being used in service). Cuckoo was an early example of the Ausf G because of the late mods described.

History of the Panther:

Ausf A, B and C were pre-production variants. ("Hold on, you just said the Ausf was a service model!" I'll come back to that.)

The early service model was D, recognised by an MG slit and a driver's slit in the glacis plate.

The next model would have been E (in German, rhymes with hay) but even the Germans get confused by this and it written down as A and stayed that way).

Then they decided on a major revision, the Panther Ausf F with Schmalturm (narrow turret which went on to form the design base for the Tiger 2) and revised, simplified roadwheel layout). It was then redesignated Panther 2, then dropped, with all the improvements used as a basis for the Tiger 2 (which is why it looks more like a Panther than a Tiger 1), though the roadwheel layout change was applied to late model Tiger 1s.

The final evolution of the Panther was the G, which like all tanks continued to change slightly over time. The hull MG was now mounted in a blister mounting and the driver's vision slit eliminated in favour of periscopes in the roof. Late Ausf Gs were most easily identified by the mantlet chin to eliminate the mantlet shot trap ricocheting rounds down through the roof armour into the driver's compartment.