Palladium

PITT24423

As some of you already know we are starting to gather parts and info to rebuild this Palladium. I am looking for a period engine to fit just incase somebody has a suitable candidate lurking at the back of their shed .We believe it was originally fitted with a Continental  similar or the same as Dan has fitted to his Halley ,initially we thought we would be able to get one from the States but as always when your looking they all hiding .I think I am going to treat it similar to my Daimler in that I will fit an early 4 cyl petrol engine so it can easily be swapped if the correct item surfaces so I will be grateful and open minded to all replies.

thanks in advance Duncan Pittock

Palladium 4 ton as found.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tomo.T said:

Palladium engines were apparently Continentals from America although Dorman was also offered as an alternative.

I was told the Continental engines used here were built here under licence almost identical to the American engines apart from the English blocks and heads were cast as one and the American engines had removable heads.It would be interesting to know who made them. The gearbox and axles are American import . Added a picture which Richard posted on Dans thread showing what we are looking for. 

Continental Engine .jpg

Edited by PITT24423
added photo
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 11:10 AM, PITT24423 said:

As some of you already know we are starting to gather parts and info to rebuild this Palladium. I am looking for a period engine to fit just incase somebody has a suitable candidate lurking at the back of their shed .We believe it was originally fitted with a Continental  similar or the same as Dan has fitted to his Halley ,initially we thought we would be able to get one from the States but as always when your looking they all hiding .I think I am going to treat it similar to my Daimler in that I will fit an early 4 cyl petrol engine so it can easily be swapped if the correct item surfaces so I will be grateful and open minded to all replies.

thanks in advance Duncan Pittock

Palladium 4 ton as found.jpg

The front end and dumb irons look to be somewhat weak compared to the rest of the chassis, are the U bolts and plates an in service attempt to strengthen them?

13 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

The front end and dumb irons look to be somewhat weak compared to the rest of the chassis, are the U bolts and plates an in service attempt to strengthen them?

Yes, there`s quite a few cracks around the front end which need addressing this is probably the least of our worries as we are a steel fabrication shop as our day job.

If you have ever wondered exactly how a wheelwright goes about making these wheels, you may want to take half a day and watch Engels at work:

It'll take you a while though, but there's a lot of good wooden wheel info in there

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As with all these things one thing always leads to another ,and what started as a conversation about bus and charabanc bodies lead to the latest acquisition ! The chassis is a Daimler possibly a CB but more likely a CK will now more once we get into it ,a lot of the smaller brackets are still on it plus a gearbox and steering box so another project in the background .Leyland bus body is on its knees but the roof is a work of art with very little rot and will use this for the basis for the Palladium body but will have to cut a section out the middle to reduce the length.Due to fragile state of the body I had to call in a favour and borrow a friends curtain sider low loader as it was in a state of collapse.

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1644.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon_M said:

Don't think we didn't notice the extra set of axles - what's the story with them?  🤔

You are not looking close enough ! Theres a second CB 22 chassis if you look hard enough ....... haven't you played where's Wally ?

Along with the Daimler parts was a second very low numbered chassis approx 1914 with the latter 1920s pneumatic wheels which we think was a standard upgrade in its day.This chassis you can just see in the photo with the axles peaking out under the bus body forward of the rear axle and it has a nice clear stencil stating max 20mph.

• Like 1

Over a couple of evenings this week we stripped all the rubbish away to leave a clean starting point when we are ready to start. Roof is as good as new with a little bit of rot above the front leading  edge the main roof unbelievable as the original canvas was in tact under the felt/tar roof. Guessing the body was converted to a house at the end of 1934 as the additional ply floor was laid on top of newspaper and was dated October 34 and the headlines of the day was the civil war in Spain and the launching of HMS Snapper (submarine) after a google reported missing in the Bay of Biscay 1941. I am no bus expert but this seems a short life for a bus when I`ve been told this model started in 1925 unless its a bit earlier.

Offside wall quite rough ,N/side good as a pattern temporarily propped the roof up to try and get its shape back whilst it dries out properly now its undercover.We`ll make a temporary frame for it to sit on  and extract the Daimler later in the spring. 

IMG_1665.JPG

IMG_1658.JPG

IMG_1656.JPG

AXFC4722.JPG

IMG_1657.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

• Like 5

Duncan, great to see you have started to work on the body already. A life of just 9 years was quite uncommon for most buses built from the mid '20s, but would have been very acceptable before the emergence of models like the Lion, which were much more efficient, and remained competitive for some time. I suspect the body was taken off as you say in 1934, but the chassis would then have been rebuilt and rebodied to give a more modern appearance, and quite possibly would have soldiered on into the late '40s. If some ID could be found on the body (I never did at Barry's) we could probably work out a rough idea of the vehicle history easily with Google.

All the best,

Owen.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Nice information on the Palladium lorry project.  I am most interested to see the progress on this lorry and also the body.  You are lucky to have shop space to fit the body into!  Do you have your wheels back and fitted from the wheelwright?  Share more pictures of your successes......

Al