Flanders day out in 2008

Snapper

I think it is time i put together a Flanders day out in early 2008. I've started discussing it with my "team" of regulars and would like to develop a plan to do this trip.

In essence we make a long day of it, driving our car thru the chunnel and back - starting around 0430 and getting back to England by 2300 approx. It is tiring, the weather can dominate - but we have a fantastic day. At the moment a day trip for a standard car costs £39. on top of this you will want gas. We usually picnic on the usual bread and cheese affair during the day and finish with steak and chips and a beer in Ypres ahead of the Last Post. After this we race to the tunnel to get the chunnel. This is the optimum way to do it.

The obvious idea is to avoid a slow coach and get a string of motors to convoy. Costs can all be shared. a day will cost very little - the steak and chips and beer in Ypres (or a flemish stew!) will only cost you £14 approx. I haven't discussed this with my wife, but think she would acquiess and suffer some boarders in Westcliff, or there may be Kent/Sussex based chaps who could stage any north or westerners.

I plan to visit the WW2 massacre site at Esquelbecq first (Dunkirk is a nightmare - but interesting) and then go to Ypres. There are many places there, hundreds, but new visitors would probably like to see Tyne Cot and the museum at Hooge is brilliant. The craters nearby are accessible. Polygon Wood is also very atmospheric. I might even factor in somewhere I haven't been. There really is so much, Ideally we would be in central Ypres late afternoon. The Ramparts offer a nice walk and you would want to see the Menin Gate in daylight, especially on a crisp bright day. The Menin Gate ceremony is at 8pm. We allow 90 mins for dinner, usually. By 8.45 we should be pulling out of the city. Once you've done it, you will want to go back again and again.

John, Richard and I are not professionals, but we love the experience. There are WW1 afficianados on the forum who may add a whole lot more.

Think about it, give me ideas of numbers and how practical this would be to do. I don't need an excuse to go at all.

cheers,

Mark B

Hee Hee, :-D I never taken a military through the tunnel, wonder what they will make of it? Have you ever attended the Mennin Gate Ceremony? If a wreath is to be laid it has to be arranged in advance. Not only WW1, there is a lot of WW2 in the area, and earlier.

I think i'm on my seventh time. It is truly the most amazing experience, as I am sure you know. I've even been there when a Glasgow Orange Order band were there laying a wreath and playing the old tunes of another conflict. King Billy lived that day. In the dead of winter, when the coach parties are absent and there are maybe only two trumpeters and a thin crowd - it can be wonderful and really eerie and poigniant. Best of all, you can hit the bars for hot chocolate after - or even a shandy for the boozehounds - wonderful. I think I could live in Ypres or nearby. But the Belgian drivers would kill me in short order. Bonkers.

I had never thought of taking an MV convoy to Ypres. What a wonderful idea. Landies, Iltis!!!!, etc in a convoy. That would have to be a weekender to allow for travel time. May be better do it on the ferry to save money in that case. Who knows, this might be an idea.

You're correct about wreath laying. Have to book months in advance. What a nice idea. Never considered it. Will investigate. Jack would have to smarten up a bit. Now you've got me thinking.........

I agree Snapper. If your visiting Ieper it would be very very rude not to sample the food, drink and beer. The Cloth Hall musuem is worth a visit. If we are going to take militarys I know a couple of 25 pounders outside a musuem that are need of rescue :evil:

I am in - I would enjoy this. I am more than honest and say that I knowe nothing of our history of this :oops: even though one of my relations was killed on the last day of the Battle of the Somme - my Grandmothers cousin in fact.

Give us the dates Snapp so that I can check the diary.

Great work and what HMVF is all about.

Jack.

As said - date will have to be in 2008. My diary is full until then. But I wanted to get a sample of who would come. Taking MVs is an interesting concept worth considering. The hotel I've used in Ypres is the Ariane, which is well known on the battlefield circuit.

I think it best to leave this until after Xmas to plan - but atleast I know some of you want to come. My mate John is definitely up to help with guidance - not that you all need it.

More anon

I am in - I would enjoy this. I am more than honest and say that I knowe nothing of our history of this :oops: even though one of my relations was killed on the last day of the Battle of the Somme - my Grandmothers cousin in fact.

Jack - give me a name and a place of burial/memorial and I'll try and pay a visit for you when I'm on the Somme in October.

I'm in as well, but if you don't mind I'll skip the channel crossing :)

Went to Ypres a couple of times already and not far from Ypres is a very cheap hotel with shuttle service to Ypres and a bar nearby. Perhaps we can do a two-day event?

Ok,

My main error was to suggest the chunnel is £39 - it is £49. But having said that we could do a good day's Flanders intro. Mad, but fun. Quite obviously we are lucky to have Tony B with us because he is an experienced WW1 chap. I have been building on my experience and between us we should be able to do something good.

My initial thought was to make this a day trip, which is an introduction more than anything else. It may be that this sort of visit is more than enough for most. Thanks to everyone offering vehicle space. If we are going for the day we would definitely be better off going in civvy machines for the sake of time and efficiency. Not sure how the Ypres/Ieper burghers would cope with an army convoy rumbling into the Market sq on a saturday.

But if you want to do things in a more advanced way, this will take extra planning. I have only ever stayed in Ypres at the Ariane, and don't know other hotels. They all sound ways of racking up expenses for what is meant to be a cheap fun day out. I've discussed the idea with my mates in Southend and they are keen to attend. But as said, with Tony on board - potentially, I feel he would bring another level of knowledge we would all benefit from.

I haven't got a clue what I am doing in November, let alone 2008 - so I think it best we look in general terms at the calendar and go from there. I once went to Ypres on January 2- a bank hol in England that year. It was freezing, but the skies were clear as a bell and the effect was amazing. Everything in Ypres was open and we enjoyed a brilliant day, which actually started at the cemetery in Dunkirk. You can do a lot, because once local, the miles to travel are minimal. So, watch this space....but let me know of any definite no-no dates.

Thanks for the response...

Mark

Hi Mark, a day trip recce would be a good taster. There are several sites easy to get to, a good cash & carry for the more basic needs, and as you say, umpteen places for lunch. I can consult the real Great War Experts and get an itinerary. The Cloth Hall at Ieper and Zonnebecke are 2 obvious ones and Hill 60 as that has WW2 intrest. there is a WW1 pill box with a WW2 Panzer shell fuse still stuck in it. Also a nice cafe.Trouble is everywhere has something of intrest to some one. A 2 day trip would have to include Passeendale. And don't forget Tyne Cot about 15 minutes outside Ieper, that is somewhere anyone with an intrest in Military history should visit at least once.

Good points.

Tyne Cot is a must for the first time visitor. I like the museum at Hooge because it is not too huge and has briliant atmosphere. Sanctuary Wood is interesting, but the place has something about it that I don't like. I won't say what here because I don't want to be in court - but people who've been may know. All the same it is a good site. I have never been to Hill 60; it's on the list. Esssex Farm is a heatbreaker and for the adventurous a walk into Ploegsteert Woods is great fun - but bring your anti-midge/mossie stuff. Hyde Park Corner is dramatic.This year I went to Kemmel and to Bayernwald for the first time. We had a good look round. The peace pool and adjacent cemetery are lovely as well. In Ypres, the In Flanders Fields museum cum war experience is very moving. The Menin Gate and Last Post is a must. Polygon Wood is really interesting and the museum at Zillebeke in the chateau is great. The point is, as Tony B is well aware, none of this stuff is a massive distance apart. There is no way you can do it all, even in a few years- I've got a long list of places I want to see. But to give a taster would be cool. I think we need to see where we could stay if we did a two dayer. Money talks. I also need to arrange the bodies my end, but if Tony is coming, too, then we will have enough guided between us methinks. But I never pass up additional advice or info. This could be a good trip. I'm told the 48 quid or whatever it is lasts for two days, so that keeps costs down. When do people think the best time would be??? I'm easy going.

My agenda for 2008 is quite empty (actually, I have none for 2008 at the moment) now so let's get planning!

Saturdays in the next few months.

Quote the post with the most recent list and add your name to the dates you are available.

January

6 Joris

13 Joris

20 Joris

27 Joris

February

10 Joris

17 Joris

24 Joris

March

3 Joris

10 Joris