B Series Starter motor windings.

Dear All,

I think that the military B series starter motor has a thermal cut out inside it..  If it cuts out prematurely it may give the symptoms described.  It gave me a lot of problems with my Leyland Martian recovery in the TA.  Fortunately it was dead easy to start on the handle which I had to do frequently.  It was only later that I learnt about the thermal cut out.

In my opinion, a thermal cut out on a military vehicle is criminal.  Firstly, because it could fail or cut out prematurely when the engine would in fact start straight away if the starter would only work.  Secondly, in emergency it may be desirable to move the vehicle just a few feet using the starter even at the risk, and only a risk, of burning out the starter.

Andy is right. there is nothing special about these starters.  A competent, old school, vehicle electrician / engineer should easily be able to fix any problems. It should be still be possible to pick up a s/h but serviceable 24 civvy starter for spare parts. I would definitely ask for the thermal cut out to be disabled.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I found that could help in the end they had to get a guy out of a shed to sort it but seemingly it shares parts with a "ms5-24-4"

The trip plate had broken and clutch/pressure plate was badly worn.

hopefully all sorted ive yet to test will have a look the weekend!

Thanks all.