Some nice J type pics

Tomo.T

Had these sent from Adam Brown recently. All are of the same well used vehicle, ( note bent brush bar ) in service at the end of the War. The group of veteran ( Survivors?) are all wearing Boer war medal ribbons and are a mixture of ASC and RA personnel. Service chevrons indicate a date not before 1918.  Sadly there are no other details or location recorded. The name LENA appears on the top radiator tank, the WD No. 51517 on the bonnet side and a GR logo on the cab side. I suspect the pictures may have been taken in Germany post war. Anyone care to comment further?img893.thumb.jpg.51e87d0f532a2f5c969ae204a057fbd6.jpgimg891.thumb.jpg.537ca647880052e36214da332408e2f6.jpgimg892.thumb.jpg.2554fa484945aca1b8af00883e749e91.jpg

• Like 1

There were probably many Leaping Lenas around at the time due to the fierce action of the cone clutches used.  The most famous was BLH 21, one of the Scammell 100 ton tractors that would raise the front wheels when attempting to start a heavy load.

Thanks for the input. I like the idea that the name might be a tongue in cheek reference to the fierce cone clutch. Having driven one of these, I can completely understand why that might be the case !  It is also possible that 'Lena' was the wife of the driver of course. 

Tomo

Edited by Tomo.T

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...