W&P First Timer's first impression

Larry Hayward

For many years I have missed out on W&P as I have previously had to take the family away on holiday. But this year I made the effort to get there in my Lightweight - though only for two nights on the last weekend.

Having driven down very early from NW London with my mate Paul on Saturday morning, as I was warned of traffic jams, I was surprised that I had a clear run right up to the Hop Farm around 8 am. In fact I did not see any other MV's on the M25, M26 or the road down to W&P. Perhaps the traffic is bad when a) it’s sunny and b) on the first day of W&P.

I certainly found W&P to be as massive as everyone had mentioned but I thought it could have been themed a little better in that vehicles of all ages were mixed up. Apart from driving MV's I love to photograph them in as natural surroundings as possible, which I did not always find possible in the fields. I was surprised at the number of civi caravans, cars and campers and multi coloured tents scattered throughout the fields as these got in the way of a good shot. Most other shows are keen to keep civi tents out of the way. These also detracted from some of the camouflaged displays set up MV owners, seeing a portaloo in the background!

I did not see any unruly behaviour reported in previous years - no BB guns being fired at random or drunken quad bike riders. In fact I found everyone to be really helpful and friendly; in a few cases moving stuff to allow me to take a photograph.

I would also like to say thanks to all those who came over from Belgium and Holland and further afield who were great to chat to. They always speak such good English! Thanks too, to the guy from the Netherlands who gave me a ride around one of the fields on his KettenKrad without hesitation after I said I would love to own one! Certainly the international aspect to W&P is a bonus, as I got to see many vehicles and their owners that are not normally at other shows.

After W&P, it occurred to me that I did not get any kind of programme or list of events. In sending in my application I had promised to take part in arena events and yet I did not know when these were to be. I have just been reading of a proposed Falklands event which I could have supported as my LW was used by 4th Field Regt RA in 1982, and the 4th were in the Falklands. At smaller shows you either have a programme or you get a call on the load speaker system. So perhaps someone can explain how it works.

Having got an impression from photos of W&P in previous years that the arena was vast, I actually thought it quite modest in size for the number of vehicles at the show. I'd like to drive round it some time and have a good action shot of my LW driving through the dust (rather than the mud).

I thought that it was wrong to put the German re-enactors near the arena as too many people in the hills made photography difficult and for some reason the re-enactors displays were out of bounds & remote from the public and not as effective as some I have seen at Military Odyssey. I don't blame the German re-enactors, it’s just the position they occupied.

Another impression I had of W&P before I actually went was that as the premier MV show it would be well supported by well known collections such as the Sdkfz people who own the Jagdpanther and half tracks etc or by Tony Oliver from Eton with a few of his rarities but I did not see anything like these. Perhaps they left in the week!

The stalls were good and it may be that some good stuff was to be had on the first day but certainly there were a few price reductions on offer on the last Sunday.

I won't mention the weather as it’s out of our control but it did not stop me enjoying myself.

Overall a good show which I enjoyed so I intend to return.

After W&P, it occurred to me that I did not get any kind of programme or list of events. In sending in my application I had promised to take part in arena events and yet I did not know when these were to be. I have just been reading of a proposed Falklands event which I could have supported as my LW was used by 4th Field Regt RA in 1982, and the 4th were in the Falklands. At smaller shows you either have a programme or you get a call on the load speaker system. So perhaps someone can explain how it works.

Larry

when you signed in at the booking in point where you got your wrist bands you should of received your welcome pack with a program in it, this lists all the arena events, just pick an event that best suits your MV & turn up at the arena 10 minutes before & you're in :-D

Hi,

this year though the vehicle fields had increased in size ,there seem to be quite a few of the old regulars missing from the show, or maybe because a lot people were not in thier usual places made finding them harder i.e the Famo, to name one and usually opposite him a Belgian (?) chap with a grey h/track.

just my views.

Ashley

I didn't get a programme when I signed in. Perhaps the cover looked just like the outside of the Welcome Pack I received in the post, which I had in my hand at the time?

You should of been given a carrier bag with your plaque & program in :dunno:

Regarding the Falklands slot.I mustered myself to the arena for the display,only to find myself and one captured G-Wagon.Then had an argument with some one who said that 101,s werent in the Falklands.Had to argue the fact that they were.He then decided to let me in.

Ashley,

That would be Jean Ziger, from Luxembourg with his Demag. In fact last year he did not bring the Demag, but I am certain he did not display this year.

Cheers for that Richard.

One other thing struck me this year, was that in the ginger gammon bar in the evenings there were very few uniform`s in attendance during the evenings unless they all wore camo gear and the cola i was supping :whistle: :whistle: was Xtra strong

I was admiring somebody's board of them this year-the ones from many other shows were substantial cast brass affair's really show up the Beltring ones! :dunno:

Actually, the plaques at Beltring were for a long time, cast brass, with a different vehicle depicted each year, but around the time that the organising was taken away from IMPS and it became War & Peace, they changed to screen printed sheet metal.

Actually, the plaques at Beltring were for a long time, cast brass, with a different vehicle depicted each year, but around the time that the organising was taken away from IMPS and it became War & Peace, they changed to screen printed sheet metal.

The reason why people originally had brass plaques,was because back in the old days pre-W+P,this was the IMPS annual rally,and was then run in conjuction with the original owners of the Hop Farm which was Whitbreads brewery.I think but im not sure but they helped with the costs regarding the plaques.

The reason why people originally had brass plaques,was because back in the old days pre-W+P,this was the IMPS annual rally,and was then run in conjuction with the original owners of the Hop Farm which was Whitbreads brewery.

Going back to the Eighties, a lot of rallies of all types, steam, vintage, etc, gave cast brass plaques and I know some people would not attend unless there was a plaque....and also kicked up if they had run out of them and did not get one. Those were the days when owners would proudly display their "Where we've been" board in front of the vehicle, first job at show, to fix the latest plaque on it. Not seen half so much now. I think it died out because the public took more interest in looking at the boards and not the vehicle it was leaning against.

Going back to the Eighties, a lot of rallies of all types, steam, vintage, etc, gave cast brass plaques and I know some people would not attend unless there was a plaque....and also kicked up if they had run out of them and did not get one. Those were the days when owners would proudly display their "Where we've been" board in front of the vehicle, first job at show, to fix the latest plaque on it. Not seen half so much now. I think it died out because the public took more interest in looking at the boards and not the vehicle it was leaning against.

If you was to display your board now some little git would proberly steal your plaques.