How not to tow a car......

Rick W

A Skoda got towed along to our place to have a clutch fitted by a couple of our regular female customers, one in front one in the car behind being towed. It wasnt until we went to get the car in that we saw where they had attached the tow rope....

width=640 height=480http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/rik242_2006/skoda001.jpg[/img]

It was attached to the bonnet catch on the slam panel of the car. It has pulled the slam panel off of its fixing points on the wings, bent the radiator off its fixings, bent the front crossmember and creased the chassis on either side of the crossmember.

" Wont it just push back in?"

"Err, no madame..." :-o

You really do wonder about some people. A friend of mine (who i have not seen for 20 years) was in charge of the MT repair section at RNAS Yeovilton. One of the girls on the base was having trouble with her car and my friend had it towed in. He quickly diagnosed that she had got oil and water mixed up. She had put oil in the radiator and water in the engine.

It takes skill to be that dumb.

Tim (too)

Not really, Our company decided it would save a few pennies by having the cleanears do the routine level checks. Early one morning a bus was started, the smoke blanked the yard for a good 10 minutes and oil came out like a geyser. When taken into the workshop, half a plastic dustbin of oil was drained out.

How so much got in there is still a mystery. when tackled the cleaner in question said he had taken the dip stick out and filled it up to the top of the tube. :dunno:

Many years ago when I worked for Lucas/CAV a car was towed in, the female owner was claiming warranty on the battery. Lifted the bonnet, battery in a terrible state, distorted, cells lifting etc. Asked her what she had put in the battery but she denied that anything had been added, however I persisted and eventually she admitted 'only horse liniment'. After my jaw had returned from somewhere near my boots I asked the obvious question, the reply was 'to stop it freezing'. Since then nothing that people do to their vehicles has surprised me.

I tried to tow start a mates Cavalier late one night. Didn't want to be there, it was cold and raining; at least that's my excuse for what I connected the tow rope to :whistle:

What I thought was a solid crossmember was the radiator support whose spot welds failed when he let the clutch out and then the radiator dropped. :blush:

I must admit before I was employed in the world of vehicles I used to own a Ford Capri, (those were the days), I had a slight ding in the front metal bumper which I thought I would pull out. I attached a length of chain to the front bumper and the other to a lamp-post. The thought being if I reversed slowly I could pull it out. I did more than that as the trusty Capri reversed it completely pulled off the front bumper, metal brackets and all. :whistle:I decided to keep the "clean" look of the car....

A Skoda got towed along to our place to have a clutch fitted by a couple of our regular female customers, one in front one in the car behind being towed. It wasnt until we went to get the car in that we saw where they had attached the tow rope....

width=640 height=480http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/rik242_2006/skoda001.jpg[/img]

It was attached to the bonnet catch on the slam panel of the car. It has pulled the slam panel off of its fixing points on the wings, bent the radiator off its fixings, bent the front crossmember and creased the chassis on either side of the crossmember.

" Wont it just push back in?"

"Err, no madame..." :-o

She should consider herself lucky! Being a Skoda, there could have been jam and sponge everywhere.

Not really, Our company decided it would save a few pennies by having the cleanears do the routine level checks. Early one morning a bus was started, the smoke blanked the yard for a good 10 minutes and oil came out like a geyser. When taken into the workshop, half a plastic dustbin of oil was drained out.

How so much got in there is still a mystery. when tackled the cleaner in question said he had taken the dip stick out and filled it up to the top of the tube. :dunno:

"... and you'd think they'd have made the hole a bit wider and easier to pour down."

N

lol thats women drivers for you

How sexist is that :tongue:

Not all women drivers are the same some of us can remove an engine strip it down rebuild and put it back in so please dont tar us all with the same brush not everyone is perfect, I'm sure mrs HF and Bernie will agree with me

I wouldn't DREAM of running down female drivers or mechanics :schocked: Being a total ****** has nothing to do with sex, race ,creed, colour or social standing. Just that there are a lot of idiots out there. Because we have to drive our vehicles rather than rely on some cheap microchip we notice them. :-o

PS love the TE20 , learnt to drive on tractors like this.

A guy had his wheels in the sand on our market square which was being resurfaced. He couldn't get out while lots of people were looking.

He wasn't happy

A mate of him put a tow rope on his car and pulled him out - no problem.

BUT the dipstick thought he'd get some respect of the audience by braking hard....

Result; his mates car got the bumper ripped off....oooh, warm memories.... :-D