WANTED Plow bolts for bedford MW

Danny P

Hi,

Looking for 6 plow bolts 1/4-20 TPI or 1/4 BSW and 1.5 inches in length as presented in the pictures below. Head diameter is about 16 mm. Who can help me with these or where to find new ones? I found them on the internet as "plow" bolts for agriculture application but the smallest size is M8. No imperial sizes found so far.

Regards,

Danny

P9030203_LI.thumb.jpg.345f15dd6f993bda71c7c686ea9a488b.jpg

5a2be694d3e9f_2017-12-0912_32_20.thumb.jpg.72971253036fad2e192029e128ede628.jpg

Danny,

you are unlikely to find 'plough' bolts as small as 1/4", The heads are often too small to be used in wood as well, they are meant for use in steel plough shares and points. Look up 'countersunk square bolts' as in the photos in this link. The tend to have a wider head which is better in wood.

http://www.fastenerdata.co.uk/fasteners/bolts/more/bolts-a-to-f/countersunk.html

• 2 weeks later...

I made up some 1/4 inch using normal coach bolts to use in my Humber heavy utility floorboards.

I machined a countersunk hole into some thick plate, the hole large enough to let the square fit.

I then heated the head red hot, dropping it quickly into the hole and hammered it into the countersunk hole with a large punch and hammer.

After cooling down I lightly machined the head flat. I did about a dozen, they weren't perfect but good enough for floorboards, and they worked ! Afterall you only see the top of the head.  The square parts were only damaged slightly if the bolt went in crooked.

Easy if you've got all the equipment to hand, and some practice. (sorry no pics to hand)

regards  Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/12/2017 at 8:56 PM, Bigjohn said:

Are you sure you want "plough bolts"? I have an MW and can't recall seeing a plough bolt on it. There are loads of coach bolts though.

Mine had them around the steel work at the rear end of the body to stop the tailgate snagging on the standard coach bolt heads .

IMG_1270.JPG