War & Peace Panther

woa2

We had a look at it early on in the week and it didn't have one...

then it did have one & one of the German reenactors was telling us that he'd helped to fit it on... I noticed later it was gone again... never really gave it much thought... hope it wasn't nicked... its a bit depressing thinking of people with the same hobbies interests/vehicles swiping bits off each other!

Not nice >:(

I'm told it was nicked one dark night. It was borrowed from another Panther owner. What a bloody shame. I hope they catch the idiots...

MB

Cannot be many of them about, idiots yes not Panther owners

We too heard this. £1,000,000 was the price quoted.

I have a feeling this collection was featured on a satellite channel a month or two back. They were looking at what ISTR was the only Panther in the world in private hands.

This particular tank had been fairly new and was withdrawing through the Baltic states in the face of the Russian advance in January 1945. They made the elementary but entirely understandable mistake (I once did the same on foot carrying Bren - it hurt) of assuming that flat snow was safe to cross. In my case it was covering an iced puddle and I lost my footing without going through the ice. In the Panther's case, they thought it was a road but found out it was a river when it went through the ice.

The crew abandoned the Panther and operated the scuttling charge. Because all but the turret was underwater, the hull damage was minimal, though all the internals were burnt out. There was next to nothing left of the turret apart from the mantlet and the barrel and the restorers manufactured a new turret from scratch.

The Panther stayed in the river for decades, simply because recovering it was never deemed worthwhile.

From the description given of the work, I doubt £1M is unrealistic. ISTR the collection has 200 years'worth of tanks awaiting restoration and they don't plan to buy any more wrecks.

When Im not at work earning money, Im an archaeologist in my spare time. Ive been working on a Roman Villa local to me for the past few years. A few years ago we uncovered a skeleton quite by chance. We had a few a few students with us then, training. All was kept quiet about the skeleton until forensics confirmed it wasnt a modern day murder. After being under cover for the night, it was uncovered the following morning to discover someone had stolen its shin bone. Apart from that he was complete.

The point I am making is, what is the point? Whats the point in legging it with a panther muzzle brake when chances are they havent got a Panther themselves to put it on? Similar point with leg bone and complete skeleton.

I just dont understand the way some peoples mind work sometimes.. :?

1.5 mill and no muzzle break, I'll give him a fiver and risk being seen off :whistle:

Seriously though there are some scumbags about breathing air that decent people could use.