Vehicle Markings

Thunderbolt

Hi all,

Where's the best place to find correct regimental signage for my jeep? My dad served out the last six months of WW2 with 4th Btn Coldstream Guards in Belgium, Holland and Germany, so I'd like to mark my jeep to his regiment. I have one grainy WW2 photo showing a Jeep with the number 52 just below the windscreen, but that's about it. All other photos are of him with his windsor carrier in the 3rd Btn anti-tank platoon in Palestine after the war.

thanks!

You could do similar to what I did to my own GPW which I marked it up as the CO's truck of my late father's RE field company from Normandy 1944.

I hand painted the markings onto magnetic plates for both front, on lower windscreen, and back on each bumperette. However I am not fully convinced that Jeeps had rear unit markings on a regular basis.

Attached two photos, my truck and another rather sticky MP example in the Autumn of 1944 taken from the IWM files.

Peter

11th Armd Div Jeep 17.10.44.jpg

2011-01-21 08.19.57.jpg

It's great to see Jeeps in British markings! But, being just a bit pedantic about British military terminology, if I may; COs - commanding officers - commanded battalion-sized units. Squadrons, batteries, companies and the like (sub-units) were commanded by OCs - officers commanding, while troops, platoons and sections were commanded by, troop commanders, platoon commanders and section commanders respectively. Not that the military always get it right - certainly nowadays you will often hear soldiers referring to, for example, their "troop OC"!

10 68

It's great to see Jeeps in British markings! But, being just a bit pedantic about British military terminology, if I may; COs - commanding officers - commanded battalion-sized units. Squadrons, batteries, companies and the like (sub-units) were commanded by OCs - officers commanding, while troops, platoons and sections were commanded by, troop commanders, platoon commanders and section commanders respectively. Not that the military always get it right - certainly nowadays you will often hear soldiers referring to, for example, their "troop OC"!

10 68

Markings are for the Jeep of Lt Col. P Serocold, Commanding Officer of 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry. Markings were drawn up with the help of the 2DY OCA who showed picture of finished Jeep to PS. He initially commented that he didn't know that anybody had taken a colour photo of his jeep during the war - which was quite pleasing

Markings are for the Jeep of Lt Col. P Serocold, Commanding Officer of 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry. Markings were drawn up with the help of the 2DY OCA who showed picture of finished Jeep to PS. He initially commented that he didn't know that anybody had taken a colour photo of his jeep during the war - which was quite pleasing

You're very fortunate to have the accurate details. I also see what you meant, it was the CO's Jeep and, of course, held, on his behalf by HQ Squadron rather than being the vehicle of the Squadron Leader of HQ Sqn.

10 68

My Jeep shown earlier, 621 FS, 11th Armoured Division, is marked to represent the CO of that squadron, Major C.J.C. Bowen who was killed by friendly fire, in his Jeep by two Spitfires at Harbarcq on the 1st September 1944. My father always referred to him as his Commanding Officer and further he is referred as that in the Unit War Diaries, please see the attached copy top right.

Peter

DSCF6474.jpg