Condenser testing service at W&P

fv1609

Bring along your condensers, rotor arms, HT cable etc I can test them on my Megger.

There is no catch & no charge.

Experience shows that 3/4 of the condensers people carry around as spares are defective!

I will be in Living History area of Ex Mil Land Rover Assn beside the main road after the first bridge after the shower block. Will be in Wolf + Cipher Trailer hopefully from this Monday.

Thats nice,

Good to see Borat will put in a cultural visit, as part of his world tour, Clive please advise I have good insecticide for him.

Will his sister attend :whistle: I'm sure she could get much business...

But please inform Borat, NO display of naked male wrestling as it may inflame the passions of the Essex men :evil:

So good to hear he will attend :-D

HF :roll:

Yes is very nice, I like a very much to here from my freinds in Warren Piece Show. but how big is present for entry?

please you bring your neice looking sisters & mothers for me to meat in mobile prison shed when I go the rid of the Cliv. I think he a little potty in his old age, he like sniffing other people condensers i think whilst he pretend to test for them. he no realise noboddy is interest to playing with there condensers. when he went go at the kemble only of the chris bring him condensers to test. wack up Cliv, noboddy care if there condenser work. also he bring again his old pads for ferret to sell, i hop the ferret has she has not used them. but may be you like & try them & seats is provide.

2 out of my 4 condensers were u/s when clive tested them at kemble I've got 6 plug caps to test at W&P

Yes Chris you were the only one adventurous enough to submit you spares to the scrutiny of Herr Megger. I don't know why people are so timid. I think there is a certain over confidence in the believe that at an unused condenser, despite its age, will be perfectly alright.

Unfortunately these components do deteriorate with age, like the rest of us :-o

• 2 weeks later...

Clive

I didn't see your post until it was too late to bring some condensors to you at W&P. When are you going to attend another show, as I do have a couple of condensors that could do with checking. How about the Dallas Digout in October?

Robert Davey

Robert, I think I saw you at W&P or somewhere recently. Next shows for me are Fishbourne, Chichester 4/5 Aug. Purbeck, Dorset 18/19 Aug, Great Dorset SF 29 Aug- 2 Sept. Although I suspect you may be at Beauleau AJ in your rare Mk1 9x9, I won't be carrying the megger around. So Dallas then!

Clive,

I brought a box of them with me for testing but only remembered when I unpacked them again at home. Ah well!

- Mike

Oh well maybe next year then?

Or perhaps hold a condenser testing weekend on Salisbury Plain 8-)

Robert, I think I saw you at W&P or somewhere recently. Next shows for me are Fishbourne, Chichester 4/5 Aug. Purbeck, Dorset 18/19 Aug, Great Dorset SF 29 Aug- 2 Sept. Although I suspect you may be at Beauleau AJ in your rare Mk1 9x9, I won't be carrying the megger around. So Dallas then!

What is at Purbeck on 18/19 Aug, as I am driving from Weymouth to Reading on Saturday 18th after a week's holiday.

Clive

I didn't see your post until it was too late to bring some condensors to you at W&P. When are you going to attend another show, as I do have a couple of condensors that could do with checking. How about the Dallas Digout in October?

Robert Davey

Same here .... Maybe next year or if there is another Salisbury Plain W/E???

What is at Purbeck on 18/19 Aug, as I am driving from Weymouth to Reading on Saturday 18th after a week's holiday.

Worth going to, Mr & Mrs HF have built up the MV section over the last couple of years.

http://www.purbeckrally.co.uk/

There was some reports on here about the success of last year's event.

I was going to post a link but when I did a search on here, I got "You may have meant to search for pubic rally" . This did actually give a result! But I think I'll leave it at that.

Worth going to, Mr & Mrs HF have built up the MV section over the last couple of years.

http://www.purbeckrally.co.uk/

There was some reports on here about the success of last year's event.

I was going to post a link but when I did a search on here, I got "You may have meant to search for pubic rally" . This did actually give a result! But I think I'll leave it at that.

Clive

Many thanks. The show looks good and I will call in on my way home on Saturday 18th Aug. How do I find you?

Robert

Clive

Many thanks. The show looks good and I will call in on my way home on Saturday 18th Aug. How do I find you?

Robert

I shall either be in Wolf + 1-Ton Cipher Trailer or RUC Pig. The MVs are usually at the top of the field. There may be another pig there, but mine is the emeraldy green one.

Clive

I will be there, but it will be about 11am or so before I can get to you as I have to pack the car in Weymouth. Is this OK?

Robert Davey

Robert, yes I shall arrive fri pm then stay til sun 1700.

Clive

I did call round one day to see you and we had a little chat while you were cooking your soup, I said I would call back with said condenser from Stu's stolly well my apologies as due to the weather other things cam about and we never made it, but i managed to get a Megger and test the little blighter myself following your comprehensive instructions in Clive's Corner, I got a reading of 78 megohms when tested and belive that the said condenser is knackered, I would like your opinion please as I think the reading is too low as per your writings.

Thanks

Clive

I did call round one day to see you and we had a little chat while you were cooking your soup, I said I would call back with said condenser from Stu's stolly well my apologies as due to the weather other things cam about and we never made it, but i managed to get a Megger and test the little blighter myself following your comprehensive instructions in Clive's Corner, I got a reading of 78 megohms when tested and belive that the said condenser is knackered, I would like your opinion please as I think the reading is too low as per your writings.

Thanks

Mark, yes I did a lot of cooking soup that show! As you didn't come round again I assumed you didn't like the smell of my soup or the Stalwart had at last sprung into life! But just in case I had callers I stuck my mobile number on the door of what people call my 'shed' or even 'cage' I have even heard it called.

The condenser you describe is NBG. Test it on 250 volt range it should swing down to a low resistance reading for a split second then climb rapidly to a reading virtually giving an 'infinity' reading. Sometimes people get nervous about testing with such a high voltage as they think the condenser design voltage is the same as their vehicle electrics. But as I am sure you realise ignition condensers have a working voltage rating of about 300 volts.

Sometimes people might think that 78 meg wasn't such a bad reading really & if the condenser was really really bad it would read a few ohms. But these virtual shortouts don't seem to happen as I believe inherent in the construction is the effect of the defective insulation/foil blowing out a short circuit. So some degree of, albeit very poor, function still exists.

Also on further inspection, both sets of points were "pitted" exactly as you described and the engine note laboured and spat etc. under load, we are now purchasing 24v landy condenser to replace the original.

Many thanks for your help Clive and for writing the paper that helped identify the fault.

Also on further inspection, both sets of points were "pitted" exactly as you described and the engine note laboured and spat etc. under load, we are now purchasing 24v landy condenser to replace the original.

Many thanks for your help Clive and for writing the paper that helped identify the fault.

Mark, glad I was of some help. But you don't need anything fancy even a civilian LR 0.2mfd is fine, if you go for a type fitted in the 24v screened system it increases the cost & it will be NOS which could well be leaky itself by now. Once I tested dozens & dozens of NOS LR sealed condensers which were all defective. The owner would not accept that they could be defective as they were unused & came from sealed packets!

• 3 weeks later...

Clive

I will be there, but it will be about 11am or so before I can get to you as I have to pack the car in Weymouth. Is this OK?

Robert Davey

Clive

Many thanks to you for testing my condensers at Purbeck, and hopefully I will meet up with you at Dallas in October. Also many thanks to Mrs Hardyferret for the help. I will get some new condensers and hopefully the car will not play up after a long run again. Sorry about the rain at Purbeck and hope the weekend wasn't too much of a wash-out.

Robert Davey