Centurion ARV

Markheliops

Hi all.

My friend it's nuts on armoured vehicles and as such we have been on the lookout for something suitable to purchase. Why, well he just wants a toy to play with and I would like something to tinker with.

No the Ward is not being sold. The WLF is my show vehicle that I can take to shows but once the repairs are carried out - is basically finished.

Well, I don't want to shout from the rooftops just yet - but I have located a Centurion ARV for sale at a reasonable cost.

Apparently the vehicle is ex-Army reserve, very low miles, 100% good rubber tracks and is a good runner.

The vehicle will receive a full service and be fitted with electroninc ignition system, which I understand will be a massive bonus, before planned delivery.

Obviously I am aware of the massive pitfalls of ownership of a vehicle like this such as fuel consumption - :cry: - and transportation of the thing.

Basically I would like your thoughts, concerns and any knowledge you have on these vehicles or ownership of 50 tonnes of armoured vehicle.

Markheliops

Mark,

If you decide to go for the Cent then you'll probably find the Ward very useful - the bits will be very heavy! I think the clutches are fairly heavy on them, so you'll need a strong leg and the engines don't like sitting for long periods without being run. I know someone who used to own a Cent ARV, I'll see if I can get his email address for you. Personally I would have the Chieftain ARRV over the Cent ARV, but both are nice bits of kit!

Chris

I know Mike - but then again, it's not something I would plan on taking for a regular jolly round the streets of Sevenoaks - or then again. :-D

Bet you would like to clamber over one - and no-one would see your knees!!

Hi all.

Trying to put some figures together.

Wonder if anyone has a low loader capable of carrying a Centurion ARV - (weight 50 tonnes) and what the cost would be from Luton to Hop Farm.

Not after getting it to W+P just working out costs. If required, recovery will be around August time.

Centurion is driving and can be loaded under it's own power.

Regards

Markheliops

Mark,

You could try ringing Rex and asking if his rig is capable - and if so how much..... It took a Ferret, Fox and Saladin all in one go yesterday - also a Stalwart and Saracen on the next trip - not quite 50 tons though...

Another question you might want to consider is storage - where on earth would you be able to keep such a beast???

Mark,

You could try ringing Rex and asking if his rig is capable - and if so how much..... It took a Ferret, Fox and Saladin all in one go yesterday - also a Stalwart and Saracen on the next trip - not quite 50 tons though...

Another question you might want to consider is storage - where on earth would you be able to keep such a beast???

Steve says it only just manages the M10.. not sure how much that weighs :dunno:

• 2 months later...

hi all,

I,m new here and was interested in the cent over chieftan questions.

I use an arrv at work and to be honest i would go for the arrv over a cent any day. As mentioned you really do need that electronic ignition fitting as one little ole back fire and you can wave bye bye to the starter!! ( engine out job as well to repair i believe). If you want an arrv that is fully working winches etc i think you will be hard pushed to find one ( it took me about 6-8 months to find one)The organisation i work for have spent alot of time and money to get it up to a usable state. If you need any advice an the arrv please do get in touch.

Bye for now

Keviwal

hi all,

I,m new here and was interested in the cent over chieftan questions.

Bye for now

Keviwal

Hi Kevin,

welcome to the forum, perhaps you could tell us a bit about yourself & your MV's in the Introductions section http://www.hmvf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&board=19.0

Cheers

Lee

I know Mike - but then again, it's not something I would plan on taking for a regular jolly round the streets of Sevenoaks - or then again. :-D

Bet you would like to clamber over one - and no-one would see your knees!!

Wanna co-driver? Pretty please! There was just such a beast at the top of the hill for a long time. It dissappeard in somewhat mysterious circumstances some years ago. had no reverse gear at the time.

• 2 months later...

hi ya

i perfer Centurion ARVS to Chieftains, only good thing about chiefy is the crane.

centurion will pull at low revs . not to keen on this new electronic igintions but what ever.

you will need a lot of petrol and 75lbs of sq pressure to dip clucth.

i use to drive one for real . along with Centurion bridgelayers and AVRE's

Ossie