What does a bare CVR(T) Scorpion hull weigh?

teletech

I'm sure someone has stripped one and sold it for scrap or knows what they weigh in some other manner.

I'm getting really close to bare-hull stage and would like to know how big dolley to roll it on once the last roadwheels come off and how a truck I need to move it to the sandblaster.

Have you tried The Alvis Fighting Vehicle Society:-

http://www.afvsociety.co.uk/

I had checked that site a while back, no recent posts and they never authenticated my membership request so I gave up.

Checking now it does seem there is a fair bit of activity though most of it is in foreign languages with a lot of spam thrown in but it would definitely be good to dig through those archives.

Actually, I have a 12000# tension scale and just bought some fork extensions so with some rigging and a bit of time I guess I can determine the answer, if my forklift is up to the task!

I'd just use the complete weight of the vehicle for calculations; for the most part it doesn't matter if your dolly has a higher weight rating, or if the truck is slightly bigger than it has to be. If you really need an answer, you could work backwards though; take the base weight and subtract the weight of the pack, suspension units, tracts, etc.

Cheers,

Terry

I'd just use the complete weight of the vehicle for calculations; for the most part it doesn't matter if your dolly has a higher weight rating, or if the truck is slightly bigger than it has to be. If you really need an answer, you could work backwards though; take the base weight and subtract the weight of the pack, suspension units, tracts, etc.

Cheers,

Terry

Using the complete weight is bad, takes me up a notch in the towing so about 3x the cost around here. Knowing that I have stripped off at least a couple tons gets me someplace reasonable but I'd like to have a number better than "it's fine" and if it really is just a few tons left that lets me tow it myself at almost no cost.

• 2 weeks later...
Using the complete weight is bad, takes me up a notch in the towing so about 3x the cost around here. Knowing that I have stripped off at least a couple tons gets me someplace reasonable but I'd like to have a number better than "it's fine" and if it really is just a few tons left that lets me tow it myself at almost no cost.

Pavl, why not just rent a trailer, I am reasonably sure you can rent a 10,000 lbs trailer for around $80 a day, and this trailer can be pulled by a full size pickup truck. I can't imagine an aluminum hull sans turret weighs more than 5 tons, and if you have to move the turret too, just make another trip! You have the trailer for the day :-)

I have to load the hull onto the transport then unload at the sandblaster's place, then reverse the process some days later.

Honestly the cost of a self-loading tow service is a really good deal when you compare it to having to dig out my tow gear, drive to a rental yard, load the hull, drive to the next county, unload, drive back to the rental yard...

I wanted the information to 1) reassure the driver it's under 11000lbs (I know it is but don't have any empirical evidence) and 2) I'd like to put the bare hull on a dolly to move it around so I can take the last of the wheels off and I might need to buy some big casters for the job.

Pavl, why not just rent a trailer, I am reasonably sure you can rent a 10,000 lbs trailer for around $80 a day, and this trailer can be pulled by a full size pickup truck. I can't imagine an aluminum hull sans turret weighs more than 5 tons, and if you have to move the turret too, just make another trip! You have the trailer for the day :-)