Name of composite material

Bob Grundy

Question

In the late 1930's on British vehicles, at least, there was a type of composite cladding or vehicle wall that was in sandwich form. Thin galvanised sheet then plywood and again galvanised sheet. What was its name ?

I am sure someone will know so thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

In the late 1930's on British vehicles, at least, there was a type of composite cladding or vehicle wall that was in sandwich form. Thin galvanised sheet then plywood and again galvanised sheet. What was its name ?

I am sure someone will know so thanks in advance.

I'm not sure it had a trade name Bob, but the galvanized sheet was either 18 or 22 gauge depending on application. The nearest you can get to it today is Zintec I have used it for a couple of jobs successfully, I would suggest that an etch primer is used before painting as I had an issue with paint bonding on one job.

Pete

I'm not sure it had a trade name Bob, but the galvanized sheet was either 18 or 22 gauge depending on application. The nearest you can get to it today is Zintec I have used it for a couple of jobs successfully, I would suggest that an etch primer is used before painting as I had an issue with paint bonding on one job.

Pete

Zintec is mild steel with zinc electroplated onto it (and lovely stuff to work with). Hot dip galvanized steel is still available and is used in the manufacture of industrial ventilation ducting for example. You can tell it is hot dipped because it has pretty patterns in it. Any zinc coating needs suitable primer or it will just peal off, unless you don't want the paint on it of course !

David