Ferret MK 1/2 wiring help

njjeeper

So my Ferret came with 2 bins of wires all mixed together and now I have the daunting task of sorting out what plugs in and where. Since this is a huge task I am trying to start simple.

Does anyone have a logical diagram of the wiring from the batteries, to the master switch? I also need the wiring diragram for the distribution box. I have the pigtail that goes from the generator box to the distribution box but I cant read any of the marking on any of the wires.

My goal is to just get enough installed and working so I have a functional master switch, proper connections to the generator box and proper outputs from the distribution box. The gauage and switch panels will be worried about if I get through this :)

TJ

As far as I know the only diagram is on the Ferret website and its not logical - by that it shows the lengths of wire and where they go, although the diagram does relate to where items are in the ferret in some sort of physical way.

Your best plan is to work from the front, find the wires that will fit in length from point A to B and then when you run out of wire use new wire for the remainder.

Diana

So my Ferret came with 2 bins of wires all mixed together and now I have the daunting task of sorting out what plugs in and where. Since this is a huge task I am trying to start simple.

Does anyone have a logical diagram of the wiring from the batteries, to the master switch? I also need the wiring diragram for the distribution box. I have the pigtail that goes from the generator box to the distribution box but I cant read any of the marking on any of the wires.

My goal is to just get enough installed and working so I have a functional master switch, proper connections to the generator box and proper outputs from the distribution box. The gauage and switch panels will be worried about if I get through this :)

TJ

Could someone tell me how the posts on the bottom of the distribution box are set up? One has a sleeve post and I have a wire that fits it coming off the starter(also ties to masterswitch). Then there is the other post on the Distribution box that has nuts on it. What goes on that?? Is it an earth?

Ferrets never were fitted with a master switch, if its a single pole switch it is likely to be the 24V feed from the battery via the switch. I do believe, from memory, that the terminal with a nut is in fact the earth terminal - but I cant look as my ferret is all sheeted up.

Could someone tell me how the posts on the bottom of the distribution box are set up? One has a sleeve post and I have a wire that fits it coming off the starter(also ties to masterswitch). Then there is the other post on the Distribution box that has nuts on it. What goes on that?? Is it an earth?

Ahhh, thats interesting that they didn't have a master switch. I have a large twist switch that has 4 terminals on top labeled 1-4. Its the same color as the trans. I also have wires that fit it with labels such as M/S 1, M/S 2, etc. It looks like each battery is terminated to this switch and from there, a 24v feed ties into the sleeve connector on the Distribution Panel.

I am no expert on Ferrets, but this all looks very factory. Even the batt cables with the MS labels are the same type as all the other wires in the harness. Yellow shrink sleeves with the label, armor covered, etc. Are you 100% sure there was never a master switch installed?

**Edit** Here is a link to the exact same switch. Seems like it was in other British military vehicles...

http://www.greenmachinesurplus.com/battery-cut-off-switchno1mk1-3081-p.asp

Edited by njjeeper

The diagrams on Andy's site do not show a master switch, I never had a master switch on mine and a lot of people have added one.. It may have been an official mod. Richard Farrant may have any idea if there was a modification.

Diana

Ahhh, thats interesting that they didn't have a master switch. I have a large twist switch that has 4 terminals on top labeled 1-4. Its the same color as the trans. I also have wires that fit it with labels such as M/S 1, M/S 2, etc. It looks like each battery is terminated to this switch and from there, a 24v feed ties into the sleeve connector on the Distribution Panel.

I am no expert on Ferrets, but this all looks very factory. Even the batt cables with the MS labels are the same type as all the other wires in the harness. Yellow shrink sleeves with the label, armor covered, etc. Are you 100% sure there was never a master switch installed?

**Edit** Here is a link to the exact same switch. Seems like it was in other British military vehicles...

http://www.greenmachinesurplus.com/battery-cut-off-switchno1mk1-3081-p.asp

The diagrams on Andy's site do not show a master switch, I never had a master switch on mine and a lot of people have added one.. It may have been an official mod. Richard Farrant may have any idea if there was a modification.

Diana

No master switch on my ferret either. you will find the wiring diagram for the Humber 1 ton is very very similar.

TJ

Hi there, my problem too. Although my harness is still in the vehicle, it has all been disconnected and most of the yellow sleeving on the cables has lost the writing so although I may be able to sort out where most connect up to the starter switch and instrument panel, as for where they end up is a night mere. Will most likely have to put a test meter on every cable to trace the ends.

Good luck with yours. Steve.

Diana

There was a particular Mark of Ferret that was fitted with a master switch, the type with a T handle, same as Saracen, Bedford MK, etc. I think from memory it may have been the mine protected one, don't think the 1/2 had one, but not dealt with one lately so could be wrong.

Pictures to rescue! I found actual photographs from before the last owner tore this all apart. There is a twist handle switch fitted in the position where the distrbution panel would go. The distribution panel sits above the generator panel inverted with the sleeve connectors facing up.

I also found the brackets that hold the distro panel and the twist switch. They are factory looking brackets with captured nuts to hold the master switch. There are also attachement points on the hull for the brackets that look factory but dont seem to be present in photos of other ferrets I have seen.

If anyone is interested I can try to scan the photo that shows it. The good news is I seem to have all the parts. The bad news is that there is no wiring diagram to figure it all out.

Robin, I would love some pics of the area! They may help me sort the wiring!

TJ

Diana

Now I come to think of it, it could well be correct for a master switch to be fitted to a Mk1/2, as years ago, I used to drive a friend's one, I have certainly come across them fitted to certain types. There is no mention in EMER's, but it could have been a Modification Instruction and sometimes these never made it to an EMER update.