Promotion to Lance Jack

Giz56

Hi All

I have now been a memeber for a few weeks my aim has been to try and get my Lance Jack before the bank holiday.

I belive the promotion level is 50 and i am on 38. I was just wondering if you friendly people out there could ask me some questions so i can achive my goal

Thanks

Cris Wiles...

LOL Good question

because i have become very interested in MV and HMVF i have read LOTS AND LOTS of information and i would like to progress and help where i can.

I don't like cluttering up other people forums with information that inst relevant but i do like to try and keep ahead in the game.

I am pretty much on the forum now 24/7 as i work in IT as a server engineer...

I hope this answer the question

Ta Cris

Hi

the weather feels like it is on the turn ready for a typical bank holiday.

but and a landy lover rain is as good as snow...

Jack if you are reading this post give me a shout if you need me... im happing to help

Thanks

Cris

In August 1978 I attended a 15/19H Junior NCOs Cadre Course. It involved promotion to Local Unpaid Lance Corporal (LULC - neither paid nor counting for seniority) for the duration, since the purpose of the course was to train senior Troopers ready for promotion to Lance Corporal.

At the end of the course I wasn't promoted (we all reverted to Troopers as was the norm). I was in Command Troop at the time and frequently in close contact with the RSM. One day I asked him when I might reasonably expect to be promoted to Acting (and thence Substantive) Lance Corporal.

"Trooper Alien, you'll get promoted to Lance Corporal the day the hole in your lower alimentary canal heals up."

"Thank you very much, sir."

Fast-forward to the beginning of 1980. A request had appeared on a Defence Council Instruction for volunteers to crew Sabre, Army's 55' yawl, on the 1980 Tall Ships Race. Having crewed for the Unit Paymaster on a number of Royal Armoured Corps regattas in recent years, I had volunteered and been accepted to crew one of the transit legs, in this case to move Sabre from to Gibraltar. The Paymaster had also been accepted, for a later leg. One of our officers had also been selected for the same leg as I had and we travelled from Paderborn to Gosport in his Beetle. (All subalterns drove clapped-out Beetles.)

We sailed from Gosport mid-March, having been delayed a day or two because the Retired-Officer skipper did not want to bend the Army's race entry on a transit leg and a Force 10 storm had raged in the channel.

We duly sailed as the storm died away, though there was still plenty of sea in the Channel after we rounded the Island. Skipper was taking no chances and we were all issued Stugerol sea-sickness tablets. I can verify that Stugerol is a superb sea-sickness tablet: I was sick as a dog for days.

With anything I ate coming out the same way it had gone down, my alimentary canal had precious little work to do and by the time I returned to dry land, it was doing nothing. We handed Sabre over to the next transit crew, but we had arrived late due to our late start and we had an extra day's stopover in Gib while flights were rearranged. We got flights to Gatwick okay but being Friday, we couldn't get connecting air-trooping flights back to BAOR before Monday, so we were also issued train warrants home and a buckshee weekend's UK leave.

I returned to my unit on the Monday morning to learn that a Colonel had been shot in Bielefeld during my absence and the alert state in BAOR had gone through the roof. I was to spend the next week performing daytime main gate guard (at least it meant that I didn't get rubber-dicked for a normal overnight guard).

However, being (still) in Command Troop, I was tipped the wink to start putting items of uniform into the regimental tailor because the latest round of promotions had been notified to the Orderly Room and I was to be promoted Acting ( = paid but no seniority) Lance Corporal, effective the date it was to be published on Part Two Orders and backdated to the date that Acting Rank had been awards by RAC Manning and Records. Substantive promotion would follow after 90 days in the Acting rank.

Consequently, come I think Thursday afternoon, I sloped off and read Part One (Squadron) and Part Two (Regimental) Orders and saw my promotion published. I went back to my basha and changed Combat Jacket and Wolly Pullie for the newly-tailored items I had retrieved from the tailor. By the time I got back to the Guardroom, all orders had been posted and I was instantly set upon by all and sundry trying to have a go at me for being improperly dressed (i.e. not wearing the correct badge of rank). Until I waved my right arm at them.

The point to note in this story is that a year and a half previously, the RSM had predicted that I'd remain a Trooper so long as there was a hole in my backside. Somehow I don't think he had expected it to heal up while I was away sailing.

RSMs: gotta love them.

p.s. As Lance Corporal I was no longer required to carry out the guard duties of a Trooper, and the following day I was replaced as main gate guard.

Ah, halcyon days.

LOL AlienFTM...

Snapper i would love to know how you made it to assistant Patrol leader.... i just DONT want to imagine you in a scout uniform....

I have to point out here that since Options For Change saw 15/19H and 13/18H merge to become The Light Dragoons just as 13H and 18H merged to become 13/18H after the First World War and 15H and 19H merged to become 15/19H, I am now an alumnus of the same regiment as Lord Baden Powell, 13H, famous of course for his seminal book, Scouting For Boys.

I also wish to point out that I do not go and never have gone scouting for boys.