What sort of gear box is this?

Tony B

Question

18 answers to this question

IF it (i.e. the Estonian gearbox) really was from a tank, and that's not just local legend, could it be from a WW1 British tank - I seem to remember some MkVs went to Russia and were used in WW2.

...and after a quick Google, supposedly four of the MkVs were used by Estonian forces between the wars and used to cover the Soviet retreat from Tallin in WW2, which might tie in with the story on the Wehrmacht Awards site.

Edited by Sean N

Mk IV tanks definitly went to Russia supplied to the White Russian forces, and some were used post war in Germany during the riots of 1919. seeing where it is, it could also be assciated with buses. It was the date caught my eye.

Given where it is I would almost guarantee it's from a bus!

- MG

Given where it is I would almost guarantee it's from a bus!

- MG

True. But intresting, I never thought it might have been used in tank. Though given the link between London bus companies and the general mechanisation of the British Army it shouldn't be suprising. See what looking at lumps of old scrap can teach you! :D

I seem to remember AEC supplied oily bits for tanks in WW1, but that could just be my memory playing tricks. As Mike says, my money's on it being from a B-type or similar rather than a tank, but you never know - and worth saving in possible, in any case.

The history of WW1 tanks supplied to Russia is quite interesting - again, I seem to remember there's a photo of one in Berlin in 1945, if my memory serves me correctly.

Just to be clear, the yard this gearbox is in is inhabited, among others, by a collector of Y types and NS's. He is well known in those circles. It is therefore no surprise that is what this is from, and he will be well aware of this since he owns several, albeit in bits.

- MG

It does have gears in it, I believe you are thinking of the chain boxes which were indeed fitted to the B type bus and subsequently fitted to the following K,S & NS models.

Thanks Seb, I knew the B type used a chain box and assumed it was continued for the Y type after reading an incorrect article on the internet.