Loading Tracked Vehicles onto Transport, backwards or forwards?

robin craig

Question

12 answers to this question

And then there's the old chestnut about drive sprockets being behind thus having taught tracks on the bottom when climbing up ramps or controlling a descent. Maybe not crucial for tracked armour, but an old crawler crane with worn tracks kind of highlights the argument :shocked: (couldn't find a smiley for squeezed cheeks!).

I loaded my Stuart forward, in a straight line. made it easy to just back off. The M20 hd to be backed on, as there was so much weight in the rear, the front end would just stay up in the air, and could not be steered. It was a REALLY weird feeling the 1st time I tried to load it. backing up works fine, just you need a couple of spotters.

m5trailer.jpg

I spoke to a close friend of mine who was a U.S.Army M60 tank driver in 1971....He was stationed in Germany.....He said they transported several times by railroad flat car....He said because of the ramp they backed the tank up onto the flat car....They backed them up over several cars to get to the flat car it belonged on as the ramp to take them off they pulled straight ahead...

He also stated the train ran by an electric wire up above and he personally witnessed a guy stand up on the tank too high and made contact accidently and was electrocuted....

I spoke to a close friend of mine who was a U.S.Army M60 tank driver in 1971....He was stationed in Germany.....He said they transported several times by railroad flat car....He said because of the ramp they backed the tank up onto the flat car....They backed them up over several cars to get to the flat car it belonged on as the ramp to take them off they pulled straight ahead...

He also stated the train ran by an electric wire up above and he personally witnessed a guy stand up on the tank too high and made contact accidently and was electrocuted....

I don't know about Germany but the UK railway uses 25,000 volts and I was taught the 'safe' distance is 9 feet - any closer and there is a possibility of arcing....also if somebody has been electrocuted, leave it to the emergency services - they will almost certainly be dead or dying anyway at that voltage.

Well that led me on a good google session lol and i've come up with two lots of data. The first chart is the flashover distance and the second safe working distances for people trained and quailfied to work on these voltages. Timbo you are right that the UK rail networks say a safe distance of 9 feet for their employees except they also say that in an emergancy police can approach upto 3 feet. You learn something new every day, well I try to lol.

Voltage--------------Flashover Distance

300 V and less 0 ft. 0.03 in.

Over 300 V, not over 750V 0 ft. 0.07 in.

Over 750 V, not over 2 kV 0 ft. 0.19 in.

Over 2 kV, not over 15 kV 0 ft. 1.5 in.

Over 15 kV, not over 36 kV 0 ft. 6.3 in.

Over 36 kV, not over 48.3 kV 0 ft. 10 in.

Over 48.3 kV, not over 72.5 kV 1 ft. 3 in.

Over 72.5 kV, not over 121 kV 2 ft. 1.2 in.

Over 138 kV, not over 145 kV 2 ft. 6.6 in.

Over 161 kV, not over 169 kV 3 ft. 0.0 in.

Over 230 kV, not over 242 kV 4 ft. 2.4 in.

Over 345 kV, not over 362 kV 7 ft. 5.8 in.

Over 500 kV, not over 550 kV 10 ft. 2.5 in.

Over 765 kV, not over 800 kV 13 ft 10.3 in.

SAFE WORKING DISTANCE

VOLTAGE................................................Phase to Ground.........Phase to Phase

500 volts to 1000 volts.......................................*...............................*

1.1 kv to 15 kv.................................................2' 1".........................2' 2"

15.1 kv to 36 kv...............................................2' 4".........................2' 7"

36.1 kv to 46 kv...............................................2' 7".........................2' 10"

46.1 kv to 72.5 kv............................................3' 0".........................3' 6"

72.6 kv to 121 kv.............................................3' 2".........................4' 3"

138 kv to 145 kv..............................................3' 7".........................4' 11"

161 kv to 169 kv..............................................4' 0".........................5' 8"

230 kv to 242 kv..............................................5' 3".........................7' 6"

345 kv to 362 kv..............................................8' 6".........................12' 6"

500 kv to 550 kv..............................................11' 3"........................18' 1"

765 kv to 800 kv..............................................14' 11".......................26' 0"

Also here is network rail's publication that says 9 feet

http://safety.networkrail.co.uk/On-site-Solutions/~/media/Home/Resource%20Centre/Training%20Materials/PTS.pdf

and the advice from BTP for police for 3 feet

https://www.btp.police.uk/PDF/NETRAIL%206pp%20EMERGENCY%203_04.pdf

C.

Totally depends on the vehicle being loaded and the trailer it is being loaded onto.

An MBT will normally drive on and go as far forward as possible to ensure the barrel when in the cradle does not over hang too much. Dozer tanks have to reverse on and stay towards to back of the trailer as the blade sits very low to the ground and would damage the trailer during loading if driven on. Staying towards the back would then ensure there is no barrel strike when the truck and trailer turn.

Warrior drive on as do CVR(T).

Big guns would normally drive on as long as the barrel is not too long, however they could reverse on depending on the type and trailer type. They would not drive on with the gun out of a cradle hence the direction is decided that way.

Recovery varients if they have a blade on the front have to reverse on.

Not uncommon to see a couple of smaller tracked vehicles on one large trailer all depends on the overall weight capacity of the truck and trailer combo and the route they will take.