Champ/Gypsy alert

dgrev

Everyone,

I have no idea if this is the correct location to be posting this info, or for that matter if I am barking up the wrong tree with the identity of the vehicle concerned.

The below ad mentions an Austin engined Champ, to me that sounds like an ultra rare Gypsy?

<http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dover/heavy-farming-agriculture-equipment/austin-champs/1054085990>

Correct me if I am wrong?

FYI - "Gumtree" is an Australian alternative for those who do not wish to do business on evilbay.

I have never used it, so know nothing about its rules, safeguards etc.

The location is Tasmania, which is oh, roughly, 1000 km from me, so no, I won't be taking a side trip to check these

vehicles out.

Regards

Doug

http://www.owningtanks.com

Degsy

Ah, thanks for that.

So, I did a bit of research, apparently they made over 21,000 Gipsys (note correct spelling is with an "i")

and just shy of 13,000 of the Austin engined Champ.

So the Austin engined Champ is rare than the Gipsy in numbers produced.

Regards

Doug

I need to correct the 13,000, the site I found that on incorrectly included military Champs in that number (ie Rolls

engined ones).

Austin engined Champ production is rather murky but appears to be somewhere in the 500 units area.

So much, much rarer than a Gipsy!

Regards

Doug

They're certainly Champs in the photos. As Degsy says, probably one military and one civvy.

Gumtree's just a site where you can post a classified ad free, along the lines of Craigslist, Preloved, Car & Classic etc. I think it's global; certainly we have it over here.

To muddy the waters further, the civilian Champ had an Austin A90 ohv engine, but some military Champs had RR B40 engines that were actually built by Austin. One way of recognising them was the pressed steel rocker and side covers (RR using alloy castings).

By the way, Gumtree has been owned by Ebay for 9 years, so no escape!

Edited by Richard Farrant

To muddy the waters further, the civilian Champ had an Austin A90 ohv engine, but some military Champs had RR B40 engines that were actually built by Austin. One way of recognising them was the pressed steel rocker and side covers (RR using alloy castings).

By the way, Gumtree has been owned by Ebay for 9 years, so no escape!

Richard

Nuts to evilbay!

They are insidious, they also own Paypal and other companies.

Doug

I believe that only the civvy model was called the Champ and that technically the military ones had a thrilling name like Truck, 1/4 ton, CT, 4×4, cargo & FFW, Austin Mk.1

As an aside, I didn't know that you slimmed it around here, Doug :D

I met you about 7 years ago in Dubbo one Easter and had a look at your Ferret and you took me for a ride. It was then that I went from thinking that I wanted one to knowing it! After years of searching and not having much luck finding a suitable vehicle, I widened my search parameters and ended up with a Saracen.

Thanks for helping me catch the green bug.

Cheers,

Terry

Terry

I may have taken you for a ride in a Ferret, but it definitely wasn't mine. Mine has never been to Corowa.

I did drive a Queensland owned one there about 5 or so years ago and did take someone for a ride.

I had no idea there was a Saracen in South Australia.

Email me off list please.

dgrev@iinet.net.au

I believe that only the civvy model was called the Champ and that technically the military ones had a thrilling name like Truck, 1/4 ton, CT, 4×4, cargo & FFW, Austin Mk.1

As an aside, I didn't know that you slimmed it around here, Doug :D

I met you about 7 years ago in Dubbo one Easter and had a look at your Ferret and you took me for a ride. It was then that I went from thinking that I wanted one to knowing it! After years of searching and not having much luck finding a suitable vehicle, I widened my search parameters and ended up with a Saracen.

Thanks for helping me catch the green bug.

Cheers,

Terry

Sorry, it was in Broken hill, on my way to Dubbo, so it would have been a week or so before easter.

I know of at least 4 Saracens in Adelaide; mine is the only registered and running one. I bought it from a guy in Pambula.

Cheers,

Terry

Sorry, it was in Broken hill, on my way to Dubbo, so it would have been a week or so before easter.

I know of at least 4 Saracens in Adelaide; mine is the only registered and running one. I bought it from a guy in Pambula.

Cheers,

Terry

Terry

Email me please?

Regards

Doug