HGV licence renewal

Just out of interest to ask please, my HGV came up for renewal mid July, I promptly had a MOT myself at £130 !! and eye test for good measure, it's now been a good 5 weeks since I returned the information, any ideas how long they take before I pick up the phone to chase on Monday ?

They do seem to be taking for ever at the moment. 6 weeks is supposed to be the maximum and as you are supposed to carry it and the blue CPC when working I'd chase them up. Some of our guys have recived covering letters from DVLA. Phone number for enquires 0300 790 6801 Mon to Fri 08:00 to 17:00 Sat 08:00 to 14:00

They do seem to be taking for ever at the moment. 6 weeks is supposed to be the maximum and as you are supposed to carry it and the blue CPC when working I'd chase them up. Some of our guys have recived covering letters from DVLA. Phone number for enquires 0300 790 6801 Mon to Fri 08:00 to 17:00 Sat 08:00 to 14:00

Thanks Tony, that's reassurance mine is not lost but I will get on the phone tomorrow.

Just out of interest to ask please, my HGV came up for renewal mid July, I promptly had a MOT myself at £130 !! and eye test for good measure, it's now been a good 5 weeks since I returned the information, any ideas how long they take before I pick up the phone to chase on Monday ?

£130?!!! Must have been a painful examination in more ways than one

So the dangerous question of where do we stand legally ( being able to drive ) when DVLA send out the applications and can't process them before licences expire ?

Get them to issue a covering letter. I had various stupid problems with DVLA earlier in the year, so the company demanded DVLA put thier decision in writing, which they did, result company and me now legal, despite DVLA admitting thier system was at fault.

Thanks all for engaging in my curiosity, so I called today probably at the worst time 1330 ! After the lengthy and frustrating dept option menu which I hung up on twice, as they led me round in circles:angry eventually spoke to a really switched on lady in the medical dept, it is here my renewal sits, awaiting it's turn to be looked at in the Que.. I asked the question outright on legality of HGV driving after the licence is expired and was told as long as the renewal is logged with them and paperwork in order continuation in driving is NOT an offence, there latest pamphlet ( as normal not read by me:readpaper:But the wife whilst I'm on the phone!! ) apparently explains this.

And so the wait for a good few of us continues.

• 2 months later...

A slight detour, but might be of interest:

I let my Class 2 licence lapse as I wasn't driving or working on trucks any more.

Then I got involved in a Mercedes 614D minibus which we are converting to a motorhome, and that will also be towing our 3.5 tonne drawbar turntable trailer, so suddenly my C1+E licence with grandfather rights is not enough (8.25tonnes GTW, against 9.5 tonnes Mercedes + Trailer)

I contacted DVLA about reinstating my licence and they said yes, as long as you undergo the medical.

£56 for a medical in Northampton, our Doctors wanted £175.50!

It turns out that I have a heart murmur which is noted on the medical. Never had any heart investigations before, so off to Kettering for Echo-Cardiogram and hopefully next week I should have the news, good or bad.

If reinstated, my C1+E apparently gets bumped to 12 tonnes GTW as long as I have the CE group valid on the licence.

So hoping to get into the Doctors on Monday to see if all is OK and I can send the paperwork off to DVLA.

Just goes to show, you think you're OK but a decent medical throws a complete curve ball at you.

Peter

After a long wait my licence was re issued, 10 weeks I think , what I did find out was that the eye sight test for LGV's is now more stringent than cars, and irrelevant of needing glasses to see the required distance, you have to be of a certain level of sight should your glasses fall off !!

Luckily for me my level of eyesight was recorded by Dvla some 20+ years before the change and they accept that , but told me they have concerns over glasses today !! Contact lenses are not a problem !

Optician asked me if your glasses fell off could you see to drive, I replied jokingly I'm sure I could find the kerb, but if they fell off in the cafe car park I would struggle to find right motor :nut:,