Kraus Maffei Gun Tractor

Sean N

Question

I've just been flicking through a W.D. vehicle sale catalogue for Elstow, 21 August 1950. Lot 865 is listed as 'Kraus Maffei Gun Tractor, service registration No. 6246255, Drive 2 x Track'

Would this have been a captured Sd.Kfz.7 or similar?

17 answers to this question

Very likely, K-M was the prime contractor for the 8-ton SdKfz 7. I believe they even made a few post-war for the British occupying forces (from left-over parts?).

Can you post a scan of that page? Not a usual entry! :-D

Edited by earlymb

Still very interesting. I wonder what it sold for and what happened with it...

The Kraus Maffei used in the original film The Dirty Dozen, made in the late 1960's belonged to the Armourers and film prop hire Bapty & Co, it had been in their possession for some time in a non running state as was apprently renovated for the film, was possibly the same one sold in 1950, don't no where it is now though

Edited by Nick Johns

The Kraus Maffei used in the original film The Dirty Dozen, made in the late 1960's belonged to the Armourers and film prop hire Bapty & Co, it had been in their possession for some time in a non running state as was apprently renovated for the film, was possibly the same one sold in 1950, don't no where it is now though

Apparently (please note the 'apparently'...) the one used in the Dirty Dozen eventually went across the pond and then after many years ended up with Jaques Littlefield.

Apparently (please note the 'apparently'...) the one used in the Dirty Dozen eventually went across the pond and then after many years ended up with Jaques Littlefield.

When it sold in the Littlefield auction description was it was restored in the UK and last appeared here at Duxford show, think it may have been at W&P years ago too, so more than likely is the same vehicle

I think it's the one that sold a few weeks ago at auction for $1.2M then. I might have seen it a W&P years ago w/o its body. Apparently this was not the best restoration though.

wasn't the one in Dirty Dozen an sdkfz 9? and they were manufactured by Famo. Maybe production was supplemented by other manufacturers???

No, apparently not.

I always thought it was but it's said to have been the 12 tonner, not the 18.

Also, only Famo made the sdkfz 9 but several others made the smaller Krauss-Maffei type.

Probably a bit of a stretch to think it's the one in the 1950 sales catalogue without other evidence anyway, though it's interesting speculating.

I've just noticed I've inadvertently repeated part of the spelling mistakes from the catalogue. It should of course be Krauss-Maffei.

... several others made the smaller Krauss-Maffei type.

My guess would be that this one was a Krauss-Maffei as the auctioneer's most likely to have lotted it up from the W.D. paperwork or just from the badge on the front!

Coming at it from the other direction, I put this on an Axis vehicles forum. One of the guys there pointed out that an Sd.Kfz.7 was used by King George to review the troops in Germany soon after the war, and that the census number was very close to this one - H6246226 or H6246228 (it's not clear in the photo). Suggests that that number range was used for captured Axis vehicles or even just a batch of captured Sd.Kfz.7

Edited by Sean N

Coming at it from the other direction, I put this on an Axis vehicles forum. One of the guys there pointed out that an Sd.Kfz.7 was used by King George to review the troops in Germany soon after the war, and that the census number was very close to this one - H6246226 or H6246228 (it's not clear in the photo). Suggests that that number range was used for captured Axis vehicles or even just a batch of captured Sd.Kfz.7

I knew of that actual halftrack, it once belonged to a friend, he was not aware of the Royal connection until I found the photo many years ago and asked him what the British census number was (I had seen the number painted on it once), he then said that confirmed the identity as there were two holes in the top of the radiator surround where the Royal flag was fixed. I think it also had a post-1949 army number on it, so wonder how long it remained in service.

My guess would be that this one was a Krauss-Maffei as the auctioneer's most likely to have lotted it up from the W.D. paperwork or just from the badge on the front!

As an additional bit of info, some Krauss-Maffei's ended up in Austria and converted to wreckers and also fire rescue vehicles.

I suppose in snowy/icey conditions they would have been fairly handy.

I've just been flicking through a W.D. vehicle sale catalogue for Elstow, 21 August 1950. Lot 865 is listed as 'Kraus Maffei Gun Tractor, service registration No. 6246255, Drive 2 x Track'

Would this have been a captured Sd.Kfz.7 or similar?

The RAF had one (Sd.Kfz.7) at Marham in 1952, plus a couple modified a crash tenders elsewhere.

jh