Is nowhere safe??

Marmite!!

They get me when I'm on the road & now they even get me when it's in storage, got a phone call from JT this afternoon telling me I should get down the MVT Barn quick as someone had damged the Fox.. this is what I found.. someone had reversed in to the barrel.. & guess what no one's owning up >:( >:(>:(

width=640 height=426http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/safariswing/531d38ee.jpg[/img]

Well only four Mv's have moved & only one has a mark on the canvas at exactly the right height but the said they went nowhere near the Fox >:( >:(>:( it was our MVT meeting last night & the Sec. is looking in to it :roll:

Neil,

It's just a piece of gas pipe, so it should be easy to replace. I've just got some gas pipe to do the Sabre gun, just need to thread the end really.

Lee,

I take the barrel off my Fox when it's not going anywhere, and put it back on for shows. It might be an idea to unbolt yours in future?

Chris

It isn't a real barrel is it???

About 1980 I was in Command Troop 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars in Paderborn. Our hangar was adjacent to an A Squadron hangar. One sunny afternoon we heard from outside "Brum, Brum, clunk, oh <expletive deleted>." My vehicle commander and I went out to investigate. One of their Scimitars needed to visit the nearby REME Light Aid Detachment square. It was parked at the back of their hangar. The troop moved the Scimitars in front out of the way and a driver jumped into the subject vehicle.

We tended to park with the guns (Scorpion) or cannon (Scimitar) fully elevated to give drivers room to get in and out. With the Rarden fully elevated, there was a clearance of about 6" between muzzle and lintel over the hangar door. No worries.

Except that subject cowboy driver (A Squadron were Close Recce, hence Scimitar, not Scorpion, who were permanently attached to other battlegroups, so they had no part to play in regimental exercises, so they'd be used as "enemy" and get to break all the rules and were a bunch of cowboys) managed to change up three gears in the one real-tank-length between moving off and reaching the lintel. As he passed under the lintel at speed, he changed up, the nose lifted and the Rarden caught the lintel. The lintel was moved six inches out of place and the hangar was declared unsafe for about three months while they repaired the displaced lintel.

Imagine the picture above but with the barrel bent upwards in a vertical plane. A runner was despatched to find the Artificer (Weapons) and explain to him that the Rarden was broke. Asked what was meant by "broke," he explained. Tiffy's response was that you cannot bend a barrel like that. He was invited to come and visit the scene and see for himself. He burst into tears.

My vehicle commander went on to be an Instructor (Gunnery) at Lulworth, then RSM (15/19H had by then amalgamated with 13/18H to become The Light Dragoons). He recently informed me that that barrel is now on permanent display at the RAC Gunnery School at Lulworth as a reminder that you CAN (just about if you try really hard) bend the barrel of a 30mm cannon.

Neil,

It's just a piece of gas pipe, so it should be easy to replace. I've just got some gas pipe to do the Sabre gun, just need to thread the end really.

Lee,

I take the barrel off my Fox when it's not going anywhere, and put it back on for shows. It might be an idea to unbolt yours in future?

Chris

Chris,

I have a real barrel on mine but as a quick fix a bit of tube will have to do until I can locate a replacement.. shouldn't have to take the barrel of mine when it's in storage as it should be almost impossible to hit where it's parked in the bay... it had to be one of the lorries in there that hit it to put that much force on it.. perhaps I should of left the turret lock off :dunno:

Chris,

I have a real barrel on mine but as a quick fix a bit of tube will have to do until I can locate a replacement.. shouldn't have to take the barrel of mine when it's in storage as it should be almost impossible to hit where it's parked in the bay... it had to be one of the lorries in there that hit it to put that much force on it.. perhaps I should of left the turret lock off :dunno:

Or put the gun over the back decks? Not particularly familiar with the layout of a Fox, but I believe there is more length over the back decks than over the glacis plate. With the gun over the back is access to the driver's position realistic? Could the gun be pointed at a corner to improver driver access? I am sure that with the gun over the back (especially pointing at a corner) there'd be less barrel to catch and, if it's at the back of the hangar there'll be no room to get a lorry in there to break it.

Bliddy soft skins. Engage them with yer coax mate. "Coax traverse right ... steady ... ON. 400 lorry in open."

"400 ... ON"

"Loaded fire"

"Firing now"