Unknown Towing A frame

Are the ends rotated slightly compared to the next set of holes (which look straight)? That makes me think of vehicles where the towing points are angled.

Could it be for Conger, and the two sets of holes adapt for two types of carrier used as the base?

• 5 months later...

I have an A frame nearly exactly the same as this along with the pins to locate it. I removed it off the side of a rather nice ex mod jcb loading shovel a few years ago!! Mine will fold flat though as it has a pivot on one side at the towing ring end. If anybody wants another then let me know.

Dear All,

I don't think that it for a Conqueror. It is too spindly and would bend at first corner. How about a vehicle with a long jib? Also are we sure that the extensions are to be joined together? Can we have a close up of the butterfly at the apex?

John

Dear All,

I don't think that it for a Conqueror.

John

The suggestion was Conger, which was a universal carrier based, rocket launched explosive filled pipe used for mine clearance. The carrier hull was towed behind Churchill AVRE on an A frame that looked a lot like the frame in question.

I agree that a Conqueror Hollebone is much bigger!

An observation without some kind of known item as a reference in the photo’s it’s difficult to gauge the A-frame dimensions. The slight bias on the open ends I think indicate it fits directly to whatever is intended to tow so giving the centres of the fixed towing point for what’s being towed rather than as in the photo of a carrier with an adapter. Reasoning being the fewer moving parts the more rigidity and control over the tow.

I have an A frame nearly exactly the same as this along with the pins to locate it. I removed it off the side of a rather nice ex mod jcb loading shovel a few years ago!! Mine will fold flat though as it has a pivot on one side at the towing ring end. If anybody wants another then let me know.

That would be off a JCB 410M the transmission could be disengaged so it could be towed at convoy speed using that A Bar. Towing vehicle would be Militant cargo or such like.

An observation without some kind of known item as a reference in the photo’s it’s difficult to gauge the A-frame dimensions. The slight bias on the open ends I think indicate it fits directly to whatever is intended to tow so giving the centres of the fixed towing point for what’s being towed rather than as in the photo of a carrier with an adapter. Reasoning being the fewer moving parts the more rigidity and control over the tow.

The peculiar thing on the originally posted one is the two sets of holes - one appearing straight and one appearing angled. It's not a general purpose one as the vee is at a fixed angle itself.

I was toying with the idea of taking it in person but I never seem to have enough time, maybe I will just have to make the time for it !

Well worth making the time to make the trip, Ian B and I visited about 2 years ago, I can recommend some other places to visit if your doing a road trip.

Rick,

Overloon also has an AVRE with 95mm, Cromwell, a number of carriers and other rare kit as an A30 Challenger, Valentine Bridgelayer, Crusader Gun tractor. Well worth a visit!

The Conger project was done about 6 years ago; as far as I know it's the only surviving Conger. Carrier, armor plate and tank are original, the rest had disappeared over time and had to be remade based on info from pictures and valuable info supplied by Nigel Watson.

Alex