Unknown Towing A frame

hi alex

I read the thread on mlu about the conger and was very impressed. I had the intention of putting together a conger(ish) display using my carrier and the Churchill but the reality is it may never come to fruition so the best place for the A frame is on the only surviving conger in the world, which is why I want to donate it.

the more I think about it the more I would like to come to the museum and deliver it personally and take a look around but time and money always get in the way and I am becoming more aware of making promises I can't keep but whether I go or not I will get the A frame to you.

i'll send you a pm with my mob number and you can call me sometime to discuss it.

all the best

rick

This towing A frame is off the JCB 410M Fork Lift Rough Terrain (FLRT) and was usually towed behind the Bedford TM 8T.

Not so sure, my memories of these were that the legs folded parallel so it could be stowed on the JCB. The frame in question is rigid at its apex so would be difficult to stow neatly.

I was involved in refurbishing a load of 410M's when they were in service and all the loose kit had to be with them, so have handled them, but it was about 19 years ago now so cannot be 100%.

They are 100% definately off the JCB 410M FLRT, they unpin half way down with the ends sliding over the front leg for stowage, also you unpin the towing eye to completely disassemble to stow. I've towed many of these FLRT with this A frame which is part of the CES.

Edited by recymech66

They are 100% definately off the JCB 410M FLRT, they unpin half way down with the ends sliding over the front leg for stowage, also you unpin the towing eye to completely disassemble to stow. I've towed many of these FLRT with this A frame which is part of the CES.

Ask a question and you get answers that may not be the one's you're expecting

Ah, I do now recollect the draught eye un-pinning from the tubes. Thanks, the memory needs rebooting I think!

At least it proves one thing, it is not for towing a Conger carrier.

They were a right pain in the backside to fit, you have to lift the fork carriage and block the rams with the sleeves issued on CES to prevent the forks lowering onto the A frame. Fitting the A frame to the recovery eyes was quite fiddly and a tight fit aided by a nylon hammer to get the pins in.

;-) sorry to say my friend but you are 100% wrong, I'm still serving and used these many many times, definitely current and issued as part of the CES (or they were when the 410 was still in service). If you look on at the brackets on the rear of the FLRT you'll see were they are stowed.

I'll stick a years salary on it :)

went to the yard yesterday and had a better look and the "A" frame is definitely for towing the jcb and not a conger carrier

:blush:

thanks to recymech66 for the correct id.

oh well if the museum has a jcb 410 then I will still donate the frame :D but that's not likely, I will still come to the museum though as I have a few Churchill and Cromwell bits i'd like to donate and before anyone asks no they are definitely not off a jcb.

have a good new year

rick

went to the yard yesterday and had a better look and the "A" frame is definitely for towing the jcb and not a conger carrier

:blush:

thanks to recymech66 for the correct id.

oh well if the museum has a jcb 410 then I will still donate the frame :D but that's not likely, I will still come to the museum though as I have a few Churchill and Cromwell bits i'd like to donate and before anyone asks no they are definitely not off a jcb.

have a good new year

rick

Nice one Rick, Happy New Year :)