1918 Vickers MMG

Bob Grundy

I have a 1918 .303 Vickers Medium Machine Gun that I may sell and to this end I contacted an auction house. This is based in the North East and I spoke to a chap who deals in the military side of antiques. He asked was it 303 (it could be .50 but unlikely) and was the magazine on the top, I of course put him right. We then got to the value of it complete with tripod and 50+ inert rounds he paused while he looked it up probably on one of those new fangled computers and came out with a value of £300, three hundred pounds! Despite giving him my reasonable views on value he was having none of it. It is a loss to me why reputable dealers/auctioneers employ people who obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

I have a 1918 .303 Vickers Medium Machine Gun that I may sell and to this end I contacted an auction house. This is based in the North East and I spoke to a chap who deals in the military side of antiques. He asked was it 303 (it could be .50 but unlikely) and was the magazine on the top, I of course put him right. We then got to the value of it complete with tripod and 50+ inert rounds he paused while he looked it up probably on one of those new fangled computers and came out with a value of £300, three hundred pounds! Despite giving him my reasonable views on value he was having none of it. It is a loss to me why reputable dealers/auctioneers employ people who obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

Have none of it Bob, I'll give you £350 for it no quibble :-) And your bus fare home.

superb old gun, fantastic reputation and good design..just too damn heavy...cant imagine it is worth just 300 quid but then its what people will pay for it.. I think your right about 1500-2000 in the right place...do you actually want to sell it