Folding Funnel

Starfire

I picked up this rather cool folding funnel. It is quite large and heavy and is capable of holding two inverted fuel cans while open. Unlike most British equipment, most parts do not seem to have any markings on them and the only one that I can find is FV831194. The guy that I bought it from thinks that it may have been part of the Centurion CES, but isn't sure. Is anyone able to confirm this?

It's a little too wide to work well with my Saracen, but it's in good condition and I quite like it for the novelty value.

WP_20140524_005.jpg

Cheers,

Terry

WP_20140524_003.jpg

WP_20140524_006.jpg

Thanks Andy,

That's a very tidy looking Abbot that you have there :)

Cheers,

Terry

That's not mine, mine's still in bits! It was just the first photo I found that showed the funnel in place.

Andy

Agree with retriever, they were issued to the majority of AFV's. Always one of those things that were taken off the trucks and left in camp as we never used them. Can't ever remember using one in all my years and cannot remember MBTs having them. The idea was to empty 2 jerry cans at a time hence the wide base when open.

We had a few on the workshop M113s , don't remember seeing the tankies with them so they may have been scrounged off obsolete vehicles. very useful when you have to fill a large fuel tank , after a while a jerry can gets very heavy by the 3rd or 4th you would be very pleased to find one of these !

We had a few on the workshop M113s , don't remember seeing the tankies with them so they may have been scrounged off obsolete vehicles. very useful when you have to fill a large fuel tank , after a while a jerry can gets very heavy by the 3rd or 4th you would be very pleased to find one of these !

Used them on Chieftain in the early days, you could rest the upturned Jerry cans on them to make it easier. The method developed though so the Hopper was done away with and the can was upturned with the open nozzle resting in the filler for the fuel tank. You could have four Jerry cans on the go with Chieftain making the filling somewhat quicker. Two men, usually the Loader and the Gunner, managed the refueling quite quickly. The empty cans were chucked over the side to be picked up later.