How do we paint vehicles?

Billruston

We normally spray, never have been one for brush painting but it doesn't look that bad?, we normally rub down as much as we can then apply paint, if it needs shot blasting it gets it, but some just slap the paint straight on, just curios of how other people paint there vehichles, bill.

I've been using a brush with some specially made up paint. Clean and prep the surface (Keeping the original paint if okay) then painting. Since the original paint has what looks like sand mixed into it, I'm never going to get a mirror smooth finish

I like to use a sponge gloss roller on the smaller jobs, it gives a really nice finish (if you keep a wet edge) and it just feels better to be pushing the paint into the surface as opposed to spraying on top of it.

rick

Agree Rick, you also get to know every little detail of the vehicle rather than with a spray gun, things are just big lumps to paint one colour.

Many years ago I used to use a product called 'Repaint' ..

I used to get it from a local garage in a few varieties of size tin and it really was cracking stuff .....

it had the legend on the tin of something like ' No brush marks..guaranteed! ' and it did what it said too...fantastic stuff ..the range of colours was a bit limited as I recall but I know they did the classic Landrover Bronze(?) Green , a gloss white and also a lovely gloss sort of 'Post Office red' ......I used it on a couple of lorries we had at the time and also numerous Landrovers and bits of plant and it really gave an excellent finish with a simple brush. The garage has long gone out of business though and although I've tried all manner of search words in Google I've never been able to find it since :embarrassed:

Ward - Hand painted with brush and rollers.

_DSC8989.jpg

I have never sprayed anything - more to do with the fact - I can't spray..........

I'm doing the 50ft 4 axle trailer at the moment. Same again, needle gun, bonda primer, undercoat and then top coat with brushes and rollers.

I like to put a good thick coat on to protect the finish.

I'll put pictures (before and after) when I've finished but I'm quite impressed with it at this stage.

Markheliops

And that is the way that most vehicles got repainted in service.

That reminds me of a story told to me by man who commanded a ferret. After exercise, the crews could not go on leave until the vehicles were cleaned and repainted. So the crews got yard brushes and used them to paint over the old paint, dried mud etc before going on leave.

Edited by Toner
Typos. Lots and Lots of typos!

Military reasons to paint thing: 1 Protection of the metal 2 Concealment 3 Apperance. :D DERA Aquila at Bromley used to house the DERA packing and preservation research department. The guy who ran it at one time was in charge of painting all the bridges in London. He could lecture for hours on paint.

Edited by Tony B