Registering a Belgian vehicle in the UK ?

Hi, I have just agreed to purchase a Dodge WC52 from a Belgian dealer and wish to register it in the UK. The vehicle in question has its Belgian V5 and I will have proof of purchase etc. The dealer is shipping the vehicle to a UK port for me so I need to drive it home if possible, I have been told I can do this by insuring it on its VIN ? Failing that would I be ok to drive it on its Belgian plates with appropriate insurance cover as if I were a tourist ? Once home I would need to go about registering it for the UK straight away, has anyone done this and if so what exactly do I need ? I have been told there will be NO duties owing at time of collection as it is from EEU ? All this is getting complicated and I need things to run smoothly as I want to take it to Normandy for the 70th :D This all gets harder now there are no local DVLA offices and you can't talk to someone face to face. :thanx:

My WC54 came in from outside the EEC. But the technicallitys from DVLA and the insurance were that She could be driven on Forign plates from the port to home, and to and from her arranged MOT for aceptance onto British Register. The insurance was arranged through Cherished Cars and they were quite happy to cover intially on forign plates. Though now she is on the English register the Pre 1960's apply so no tax or MOT. One thing I would say is fit Front Position Indication lamps, know to us as sidelights. They were required in England from 1934. You may get away with convoy markers, but it isn't a difficult job. I used LED strips under the wings. Don't know if my examiner was being kind but he accepted it and it works well as you don't see them unless they are on.

My WC54 came in from outside the EEC. But the technicallitys from DVLA and the insurance were that She could be driven on Forign plates from the port to home, and to and from her arranged MOT for aceptance onto British Register. The insurance was arranged through Cherished Cars and they were quite happy to cover intially on forign plates. Though now she is on the English register the Pre 1960's apply so no tax or MOT. One thing I would say is fit Front Position Indication lamps, know to us as sidelights. They were required in England from 1934. You may get away with convoy markers, but it isn't a difficult job. I used LED strips under the wings. Don't know if my examiner was being kind but he accepted it and it works well as you don't see them unless they are on.

Thanks for that, you mentioned "examiner" will the vehicle have to be inspected and if so where now all the regional offices are closed surely I wouldn't have to go to Swansea :wow:

Thanks for that, you mentioned "examiner" will the vehicle have to be inspected and if so where now all the regional offices are closed surely I wouldn't have to go to Swansea :wow:

Not too sure whether you can drive it on UK roads with the Belgian plates on it

However

You must notify HMRC of its arrival in the UK under the NOVA scheme (the DVLA will not register it unless this has been done) It can be done online I believe (Do not rely on people telling you that as its come from an EU country you dont have to do this)

You will then need to apply to a club recognised by the DVLA (MVT or IMPS) to issue a dating certificate

The MVT will send an inspector out to look at the vehicle and check chassis numbers etc (NOT the DVLA)

Once you have this you complete a form V55/5 (again you have to order this from the DVLA as it is a two piece no carbon required document) and send that along with some identification evidence (outlined both on the DVLAwebsite and the letter that accompanies the dating cert from the MVT) to the DVLA and you will be issued with an age related registration number and a V5

The vehicle will NOT require an MOT to complete this (it is exempt MOT as it is pre 1960)

Simples!!!!!

If you have any other queries please PM me

Edited by Brooky

As for MOT, for first registration on UK lists my understanding is that is still required. I got mine done at a local MOT station I know who were capable of taking the size and have experience with the 'stranger' side of vehicles. HMRC were no problem, the paperwork was done at the port, though from past experience I'd check wether VAT is due. As the vehicles was personal property (I'd inherited her) the only comment I got from Customs was 'Wow that's nice, there's the release document from the port , have a safe journey'. Forgot to add, when you go to the MOT station the vehicle will not appear on the computer, so getting the MOT is one of the first steps to registration. Be sure to ask for an age related number! I was lucky mine had been ex UK before export to Jersey and the original number had not been re-issued so they gave it me back. P.S. Might be worth looking into YOU going over and acompanying vehicle back. Often cheaper and you are on hand to deal with any problems.

Edited by Tony B

Thanks for your answers I didn't know I would need an MOT neither my Bedford MW or Chevy G7107 need one will a Dodge need a different one to a car ie have to be done at a commercial mot station ? Surely with a Belgian V5 giving its year of manufacture etc I wouldn't need a verification letter from the MVT ? This is all looking less likely that I will be able to get it all done in time for Normandy :mad: I know the DVLA will take for ever on the most simple cases and this doesn't seem as simple as the dealer led me to believe :embarrassed: I tried to get a dating letter through the MVT for my jeep a while back and it was so protracted and dare I say unhelpful I gave up and eventually sorted it myself.

There is one problem , normally the rear official numberplate stays with the owner if a vehicle is sold in Belgium!

So you will have a problem if you want to drive it from the port to your home.

Guy

As for MOT, for first registration on UK lists my understanding is that is still required. I got mine done at a local MOT station I know who were capable of taking the size and have experience with the 'stranger' side of vehicles. HMRC were no problem, the paperwork was done at the port, though from past experience I'd check wether VAT is due. As the vehicles was personal property (I'd inherited her) the only comment I got from Customs was 'Wow that's nice, there's the release document from the port , have a safe journey'. Forgot to add, when you go to the MOT station the vehicle will not appear on the computer, so getting the MOT is one of the first steps to registration. Be sure to ask for an age related number! I was lucky mine had been ex UK before export to Jersey and the original number had not been re-issued so they gave it me back. P.S. Might be worth looking into YOU going over and acompanying vehicle back. Often cheaper and you are on hand to deal with any problems.

There is NO requirement for an MOT before first registration.

I should be interested to know where your understanding came from?

Thanks for your answers I didn't know I would need an MOT neither my Bedford MW or Chevy G7107 need one will a Dodge need a different one to a car ie have to be done at a commercial mot station ? Surely with a Belgian V5 giving its year of manufacture etc I wouldn't need a verification letter from the MVT ? This is all looking less likely that I will be able to get it all done in time for Normandy :mad: I know the DVLA will take for ever on the most simple cases and this doesn't seem as simple as the dealer led me to believe :embarrassed: I tried to get a dating letter through the MVT for my jeep a while back and it was so protracted and dare I say unhelpful I gave up and eventually sorted it myself.

You will need a dating certificate from a recognised club.

That is the ONLY evidence the DVLA will recognise for dating purposes at first registration.

When did you try to get a dating cert for a Jeep through the MVT?

As I am the verification officer (and have been for two years) for the MVT I take these comments seriously

We quote that it can take three months from application to certificate being issued, however in most cases provided the documentation supplied by the owner is in order it will be considerably less (the record at the moment is a week)

The simple reason for that is we rely on volunteers both in the back office (me!) and from our inspectors.

In theory if you get the application in asap there shouldnt be a problem, the DVLA at the moment seem to be taking 10-14 days to return a V5 and registration number

You will need a dating certificate from a recognised club.

That is the ONLY evidence the DVLA will recognise for dating purposes at first registration.

When did you try to get a dating cert for a Jeep through the MVT?

As I am the verification officer (and have been for two years) for the MVT I take these comments seriously

We quote that it can take three months from application to certificate being issued, however in most cases provided the documentation supplied by the owner is in order it will be considerably less (the record at the moment is a week)

The simple reason for that is we rely on volunteers both in the back office (me!) and from our inspectors.

In theory if you get the application in asap there shouldnt be a problem, the DVLA at the moment seem to be taking 10-14 days to return a V5 and registration number

Sorry if I caused offence it wasn't intended but my jeep situation was relatively straight forward and it dragged on and on with the goal posts moving daily, that is why I need a definitive answer to this due to Normandy being not too far off. You say the "documentation is in order" fine but as I keep getting conflicting advice as to what that is it all seems destined to fail, surely if the vehicle has an EU V5 with is date of manufacture on it, it would not need an inspection ? Do cars coming in from Europe daily have to be inspected or just MOT'd when they are three years old ? If delays force me to miss my holiday it won't be worth buying the vehicle.

I registered a REO last year for the first time and it didn't need a test

I followed the route described above

Fill in Nova form online

Get age letter from recognised club

Got insurance

Go down to DVLA office with all the above plus pictures and left with a tax disc

Quite simple as it turned out after lots of help from folks on this forum

Sorry if I caused offence it wasn't intended but my jeep situation was relatively straight forward and it dragged on and on with the goal posts moving daily, that is why I need a definitive answer to this due to Normandy being not too far off. You say the "documentation is in order" fine but as I keep getting conflicting advice as to what that is it all seems destined to fail, surely if the vehicle has an EU V5 with is date of manufacture on it, it would not need an inspection ? Do cars coming in from Europe daily have to be inspected or just MOT'd when they are three years old ? If delays force me to miss my holiday it won't be worth buying the vehicle.

The rules and process are very simple

You need a dating certificate from a club (on the DVLA list of recognised clubs) whose area of interest is relevant to the vehicle (MVT or IMPS in this case)

They will inspect the vehicle and issue a dating certificate

You return this with a completed V55/5 and some evidence of identity (again listed on the letter from the MVT or on the DVLa website) and the fee

The DVLA will return you a V5 and a registration number

As I say very simple

I do not know what process is involved with modern vehicles and really dont care!!

All I am interested in is verifying military vehicles so the owners can enjoy them

People have trouble with the DVLA because they dont give the DVLA the information they require

i.e. The Belgian V5 will not be suitable as the rules say the dating cetrtificate must come from a club on the DVLA list

I have attached the letter I send with the dating certificate and as I say it seems to work (This year so far I have issued 14 dating certs with 7 in progress)

Applicant Letter Normal Updated.doc

The rules and process are very simple

You need a dating certificate from a club (on the DVLA list of recognised clubs) whose area of interest is relevant to the vehicle (MVT or IMPS in this case)

They will inspect the vehicle and issue a dating certificate

You return this with a completed V55/5 and some evidence of identity (again listed on the letter from the MVT or on the DVLa website) and the fee

The DVLA will return you a V5 and a registration number

As I say very simple

I do not know what process is involved with modern vehicles and really dont care!!

All I am interested in is verifying military vehicles so the owners can enjoy them

People have trouble with the DVLA because they dont give the DVLA the information they require

i.e. The Belgian V5 will not be suitable as the rules say the dating cetrtificate must come from a club on the DVLA list

I have attached the letter I send with the dating certificate and as I say it seems to work (This year so far I have issued 14 dating certs with 7 in progress)

I also had to show an insurance certificate to get the tax disc

DVLA local office, whom I knew be helpful and efficent, and the MOT inspector whom I have also known for many years. Question: Why such a touchy tone? It is surley in alll our intrests to get things right?

DVLA local office, whom I knew be helpful and efficent, and the MOT inspector whom I have also known for many years.

Tony

Thanks.................................but there is NO requirement for an MOT ( if the vehicle is exempt i.e. pre 1960) at first registration

Again made fairly clear in the letter I attached to a post (the contents of which were lifted direct from the DVLA website)

You do need to produce a V112 (vehicles less than 3500kgs laden) or V112G (vehicles over 3500kgs laden) Claim for exemption when applying for first registration

Sorry if it came over as "touchy" tone but there is so much mis information on this world wide web that it is important that the source of information is disclosed and people dont go down the wrong route

As I say the information in the letter was lifted direct from the DVLA website so can (I think) be classed as reliable

Edited by Brooky

Understood. What with our dear darling DVLA making things up as the go along, and don't start me on that! At the moment I've no end of headaches with them over thier latest B*lls Up. As the pre 60 regulations on MOT are so new I may not have caught up. I brought mine in 18 months ago. My undestanding was, first an intial inspection to show the vehicle was roadworthy, and it corrseponded to the paperwork. If MVT have the authority to certify such then that may well be way to go. It is bugger not being able to contact or go into a local office and actually talk to a real person. P.S Ever noticed the litle disclamier on the DVLA website? Pass the Brandy and that Vallium snadwich.....

Understood. What with our dear darling DVLA making things up as the go along, and don't start me on that! At the moment I've no end of headaches with them over thier latest B*lls Up. As the pre 60 regulations on MOT are so new I may not have caught up. I brought mine in 18 months ago. My undestanding was, first an intial inspection to show the vehicle was roadworthy, and it corrseponded to the paperwork. If MVT have the authority to certify such then that may well be way to go. It is bugger not being able to contact or go into a local office and actually talk to a real person. P.S Ever noticed the litle disclamier on the DVLA website? Pass the Brandy and that Vallium snadwich.....

The MVT have the authority (after following a standard process) to issue a dating letter that is accepted as evidence for an age related plate, historic vehicle taxation class

It does not constitute any form of mechanical or roadworthiness inspection (although the rules call for the vehicle to be resonably complete)

The fact that if the date of manufacture is pre 1960 then that vehicle will fall (by default) into the exemption from MOT (or test and plate) and the rules for that will need to be followed (V12/V112G)

If it is post 1960 then the testing rules will apply

The roadworthiness of a vehicle is and always has been the responsiblity of the owner and the user

I am in the process of trying to retain a number plate on a retention cert,i have the V5c and mot and tax disc and insurance for the vehicle,i sent all the paperwork to Swansea and i have been told by them i have to take it for a Vehicle Identification Check as the rules now state that anybody trying to register or do what i am on a pre 1963 vehicle will have to have this done,this can only be done at the VOSA test centre,but not all of them do this.

Simon

I am in the process of trying to retain a number plate on a retention cert,i have the V5c and mot and tax disc and insurance for the vehicle,i sent all the paperwork to Swansea and i have been told by them i have to take it for a Vehicle Identification Check as the rules now state that anybody trying to register or do what i am on a pre 1963 vehicle will have to have this done,this can only be done at the VOSA test centre,but not all of them do this.

Simon

Bit out of scope for the verification service here

If you are trying to retain the original registration number but the vehicle is not on the DVLA database then the V765 scheme would be used

However in your case as you have the V5c therefore the vehicle must be on the database.

I suppose that the DVLA wish to confirm the reg number is applicable to the vehicle make recorded and the chassis number matches that on the V5

There are some funny goings on going on with vehicles and identities!!!

As I say seems out of scope for a club type verification

Simon

So contrary to what the MVT believes I still need to have the vehicle inspected by VOSA, is this AS WELL as the MVT ????:confused: This is exactly what I feared just reading these posts there is so much conflicting information how the hell is anyone supposed to get the paperwork right ? I can't understand how registering a vehicle that already has an EU valid V5 should be so difficult and time consuming, what happened to the European Community where things between members were supposed to be easy ? Beam me up Scotty :undecided:

So contrary to what the MVT believes I still need to have the vehicle inspected by VOSA, is this AS WELL as the MVT ????:confused: This is exactly what I feared just reading these posts there is so much conflicting information how the hell is anyone supposed to get the paperwork right ? I can't understand how registering a vehicle that already has an EU valid V5 should be so difficult and time consuming, what happened to the European Community where things between members were supposed to be easy ? Beam me up Scotty :undecided:

NO you dont!!!!!!!!!!

As I keep banging on the process is simple,

You need to follow the process outlined in my previous posts (You must make sure though that YOU make the NOVA declaration...............this cannot be done by anybody else)

If you read my reply to the post re VOSA inspection you will see the detail is completely different from getting a first registration, the vehicle in question is already registered.

Trust me if you follow the advice given you WILL get the vehicle registered in the UK and if you do it in a timely manner you will go to the ball.....................well Normandy anyway!!!!!!

NO you dont!!!!!!!!!!

As I keep banging on the process is simple,

You need to follow the process outlined in my previous posts (You must make sure though that YOU make the NOVA declaration...............this cannot be done by anybody else)

If you read my reply to the post re VOSA inspection you will see the detail is completely different from getting a first registration, the vehicle in question is already registered.

Trust me if you follow the advice given you WILL get the vehicle registered in the UK and if you do it in a timely manner you will go to the ball.....................well Normandy anyway!!!!!!

Thanks I will follow your advice to the letter and hopefully all will be well, the NOVA bit can't be done until the vehicle has a time/date/port of delivery is that right ? The dealer says there may be a problem as it asks for a 12 figure VIN number and the Dodge number of digits is less. I appreciate your advice I have had several fruitless dealings with the DVLA in the past in fact I am in the middle of a five month saga trying to get a V5c for my tractor !

I registered a REO last year for the first time and it didn't need a test

I followed the route described above

Fill in Nova form online

Get age letter from recognised club

Got insurance

Go down to DVLA office with all the above plus pictures and left with a tax disc

Quite simple as it turned out after lots of help from folks on this forum

So did the NOVA form trigger you having to pay VAT in lieu of duty, Paul - or was it already registered in EU? You may have got in just in time, the import duty thing only came up towards the end of last year didn't it? (after we finished paying the USA for the war - although that is possibly just coincidence :D)

There seem to be two separate issues here - are the following statements correct?

1) Importing a vehicle into UK from the EU if already registered within EU does away with the need to pay import duty as the Euro V5 or equivalent can be used as proof that the vehicle is an established member of the EU motor community.

2) Importing a U.S. vehicle into UK from EU with no registration documentation opens up a liability for import duty as you cannot prove import duty was ever paid in EU when it was first imported (even if that was during the war!) therefore the vehicle is an illegal alien.

3) But in both cases - and this Dodge from Belgium is covered by (1) - DVLA still require proof of age from a recognised UK body (e.g. MVT) to be satisfied that it qualifies for age-related status (e.g. Historic and no MOT).

I am about to tackle a case falling under (2) - an unregistered U.S. vehicle from Belgium........:shake:

Edited by N.O.S.