Registering a Belgian vehicle in the UK ?

I'm not clear why DVLA would require a UK dating letter for a vehicle with an EU registration document showing the date of manufacture. I've only done it the other way round (from UK to Belgium) but there was absolutely no difficulty in accepting the UK V5 as evidence of age. The whole point with all this EU complication is surely that it's not necessary to go through duplicate procedures in each member state ?

I'm not clear why DVLA would require a UK dating letter for a vehicle with an EU registration document showing the date of manufacture. I've only done it the other way round (from UK to Belgium) but there was absolutely no difficulty in accepting the UK V5 as evidence of age. The whole point with all this EU complication is surely that it's not necessary to go through duplicate procedures in each member state ?

I do wish people would read and understand my previous posts

We are talking about a vehicle from Belgium to the UK not the other way round

The rules are the rules and we cannot change them only follow them

Follow the rules and everything is OK, you get a vehicle registered in the UK and are able to enjoy it with the minimum of fuss!!!

Dont follow them and you have a problem!!!!

I have said enough on the matter.........................if you want to do your own thing then fine.......................but dont come bleating on here when it all goes to r*t s**t

So did the NOVA form trigger you having to pay VAT in lieu of duty, Paul - or was it already registered in EU? You may have got in just in time, the import duty thing only came up towards the end of last year didn't it? (after we finished paying the USA for the war - although that is possibly just coincidence :D)

There seem to be two separate issues here - are the following statements correct?

1) Importing a vehicle into UK from the EU if already registered within EU does away with the need to pay import duty as the Euro V5 or equivalent can be used as proof that the vehicle is an established member of the EU motor community.

2) Importing a U.S. vehicle into UK from EU with no registration documentation opens up a liability for import duty as you cannot prove import duty was ever paid in EU when it was first imported (even if that was during the war!) therefore the vehicle is an illegal alien.

3) But in both cases - and this Dodge from Belgium is covered by (1) - DVLA still require proof of age from a recognised UK body (e.g. MVT) to be satisfied that it qualifies for age-related status (e.g. Historic and no MOT).

I am about to tackle a case falling under (2) - an unregistered U.S. vehicle from Belgium........:shake:

All the above are not really in the scope of registering a vehicle for the first time in the UK but are to do with the NOVA scheme

Get that right and duty paid (or not) and the HMRC informed and when you present the dating certificate etc you get a registration number and a V5

Thank you everybody for the advice, I am going to follow " Brooky's" advice to the letter as he seems confident we can sort it and it's all a question of dotting the right I's and crossing the right T's on the form. I suppose each case is or can be different but with his help (gratefully received I may add) I am sure things will get sorted. :-) :thanx:

I do wish people would read and understand my previous posts

We are talking about a vehicle from Belgium to the UK not the other way round

The rules are the rules and we cannot change them only follow them

Follow the rules and everything is OK, you get a vehicle registered in the UK and are able to enjoy it with the minimum of fuss!!!

Dont follow them and you have a problem!!!!

I have said enough on the matter.........................if you want to do your own thing then fine.......................but dont come bleating on here when it all goes to r*t s**t

As you've addressed me, I'll reply. I did read the posts and I did make it clear that I had only carried out the process in the other direction. However, this does not alter the fact that the European system is designed to make documentation acceptable in all member startes.

You've stated that you neither know nor care about 'modern' vehicles but any vehicle registered in the UK effectively has an age-related number. Do you consider the cut-off for 'modern' to be 1960 or 1973 or indeed a later point ?

This is what DVLA say they require:-

"...A non-GB registration document or certificate for your

vehicle and any other papers you have relating to the

vehicle, or a dating certificate from the manufacturer

or other acceptable source..."

They clearly state "or", not "as well as"

Obviously, the MVT and other clubs have a vested interest in insisting on exclusivity. Without such a requirement, membership levels and income would likely be considerably lower.

I fully understand and support thorough and comprehensive club enquiries when dealing with undocumented vehicles, but one imported from another EU state with correct documentation is not the same thing.

It may well be 'easiest' for the OP to take the belt and braces approach and I have no wish to persuade him otherwise. It's his choice.

The MVT do not charge for verification, members get three free a year

One of the benefits of membership!!

The only cost involved is 4 stamps and potentially the inspector can claim mileage

The club certainly does not profit , come to think of it neither do I (I spend on average 4-5 hours a week on the task)

Just to clarify what I said earlier, it does state when you are registering a vehicle for the first time and when trying to get a reg number on a retention certificate that the DVLA retain the right to inspect the vehicle(though I believe that they rarely do so).The point about vehicle`s that were manufactured/registered before 1963 came from the e-mail response when I asked them why they needed to see the vehicle(which I don`t have a problem with) as it has been in the UK all it`s life and was registered on the computer and had a new V5c.I have received the letter today from them that very clearly states that "Due to the vehicle being registered/manufactured prior to 1963 an inspection is required before an application is authorised" and further down the letter is states "until an examination of the vehicle is carried out, I am unable to issue a V5c and you could experience difficulties when taxing your vehicle".

I was not trying to get a V5c as I already have one, would it be possible for some one at the MVT who might have connections to the DVLA or VOSA to get clarity on this point.

I have brought a motorcycle in from the Netherlands with a Dutch log Book and done the route described earlier and it went smoothly and fine but this was a 1980`s bike and I had never heard of the above until this week.

Simon

In reply to the last question it has to be VOSA and not all of the test stations' can do it,it live in Leicester and the three closest to me where Birmingham and Derby and Peterborough obviously there are other one`s in other parts of the country and these can be located using there web site.

Simon