Railroading GMCs

N.O.S.

Original Evans setup in Korea;usa6x.jpg

Original Evans setup at Ravenna on a Dodge COE; got a better version somewhere

ravenna.jpg

Dodge one tons, again at Ravenna;

RAILER.jpg

I'm putting together a copy of one of the one tons here in Scotland. Unfortunately very few of the original Evans Auto Railer setups have survived - I think the Grey Goose at the Alaska Railroad is one, so I've had to use 1960's Hy-Rail attachments from Fairmont, the company that Evans turned into.

Got one of these too;

NOL00023.jpg

a Nolan two ton single axle road / rail trailer.

I recommend Fred Crismon's excellent US MILITARY WHEELED VEHICLES book on this subject. I think he must have got a file with every WW2 variant of the AutoRailer in it and featured them heavily.

As I understand it, the primary reason for procurement was for arsenal use within the USA ( the Dodge 1.5 ton and 1 ton trucks were at the Ravenna Arsenal ) to carry the nitroglycerine from the manufacturing plant to the sub-facilities where it was turned into more stable explosives. Nice smooth steel rails, I bet they were to a high standard with very few joints ....

In Korea and Alaska they were used for transport in areas where the railway links were in better condition than the roads.

Edited by Gordon_M