Another Cotswolds Jeep

Great War truck

I went out today to see forum member Charlie Wolfs new Jeep. Ex British army rebuild and disposed of in 1972. It was very nice and super fast. It would leave mine standing in any race.

IMG_3744_zps9268004a.jpg

IMG_3751_zpsa667c676.jpg

IMG_3740_zps488d9411.jpg

IMG_3742_zps246d868e.jpg

What pattern tread are these tyres?

IMG_3750_zps9cc45cec.jpg

On the drivers side wing there are holes for a bracket to carry a first aid pack. The bracket looks to be original. Which Jeeps were fitted with these?

IMG_3748_zpsb8536e95.jpg

On the inside the bodywork has had lots of extra holes drilled and which have been filled with bolts. Does anybody recognise this configuration. I was thinking radio but I really don’t know. Anybody have any thoughts?

IMG_3747_zps59684f8c.jpg

IMG_3749_zps077d0fe6.jpg

Fantastic :-D, another british YH jeep- I would love a look at that, it its at w&p let me know ;)

Contact deepcut for history quoting her YH reg.

Tyres are Klebers I believe 6.5X16. and the bolt holes are interesting too- I believe my inner rear arch has similar plugged holes.

Gerry

Nice jeep but get an age related plate :-D

I think the plate is part of its history. first registration after Military ownership. Pretty unusual I think. I am not so sure I would obtain a new number. I think it would look better with a Black/ silver numberplate though.

Its so nice to see a very nice original looking Jeep,. I doubt if it was released from the military as late as 1972, the last known Jeeps to be released and sold by the MOD were some 12 years previous circa 1959/60, I certainly don't remember one in the military auctions in 1972, more likely it was re imported and registered in '72 or could have been in a museum for years

If RLC Deepcut does have its key card that should confirm its release date, It appears to have Hotchkiss wheels and tyres,

Edited by Nick Johns

Nice Jeep

The holes in the front fender are for the frame, which could hold an ammo box or first aid pouch.

Not sure what the holes in the rear fenders are for, as there were a few different mods. Could even have been for a radio mount or airborne mod.

I note that Deepcut has been refered too for data. I do not see him as a listed member. Is there a way to contact him?

I am collecting data on Canadian WW2 used jeeps and trailers. He might be able to provide some data as many Canadian jeeps were turned over to the British rather than to ship them back to Canada or they were traded during the war.

Thanks

Eric

Morning All,

Nice to have some positive feedback. I'm certainly enjoying jeep ownership having wanted one for so long.

I certainly have no plans to change it, it has been well cared for and much loved by it's previous owner and I aim to do the same. The only thing I want to do is to re-register it with age related plates as I don't like the standard white and yellow ones.

I'm sure I will have plenty of questions going forward and I look forward to chatting!

Charlie

I have just been reading and apparently I can use stamped black / silver plates as the vehicle was first registered 21/07/72?

Black / silver plates would certainly make a difference.

Yes as I said , that would be my preferred route, lovely looking Jeep too. well done

Yes as I said , that would be my preferred route, lovely looking Jeep too. well done

Well its each to their own, as the Owner its completely up to you, you won't be wrong either way but you could have the Army number underneath and take the modern plates off at shows.

Photos of jeep from long ago.

The one with the Summer hood up was not long after I bought it, the markings were copied off a photograph of a jeep.

The one with my partner driving was at a local fete in about 1984.

The one parked outside a ministry building was at a rehearsal for a 40s do

The screen down version was at RAF Chicksands.

old jeep.jpg

Amazing!

I'd be interested in getting some more info and copies of photos just to start putting together a file.

Do you know any history before you?

Did you do any renovations or paint, apart from the markings?

Basically anything that can help put together a history.

Also looking at the Jeep when you had it, it seems to have some changes, obviously paint, tyres, wheels.

Did you sell it with the camo net, if so I still have this?

data plates?

Anything you can remember basically!

Kind Regards

Charlie

I used to enjoy driving this Jeep & often used it to just give it a run & pick up the children from school in Leamington. In fact this Jeep & owner was how I got interested in MV's.

Perhaps you could bring it to my show in Evesham in June, I would be very pleased to see it.

Happy motoring.

Paul