Bedford RL wrecker

Paddington

I've got a Bedford RL Recovery 35CL97 Chassis no RLC3 33522. :tup:

It's never been registered for road and as I'm nearing completion day(over 2yrs late) it's about time I did something about it.I did try age relating it with MVT a while back but found it hard work-no records basically. :banghead:

Has anyone out there aged anything like this lately,I believe the Logistics Corps Museum (or similar) have all the records now,has anyone gone through the procedure with them? :help:

Cheers

DaveP

I've got a Bedford RL Recovery 35CL97 Chassis no RLC3 33522. :tup:

It's never been registered for road

Dave,

Of the top of my head, I think CL range of numbers is around 1958-60, but cannot find proof yet. The chassis number looks reasonably early (ie 1950's).

Two suggestions, first, John Pearson, who comes on this forum, had or has a RL recovery and using his numbers it could give an indication of age.

Secondly, there are two Yahoo forums covering Bedfords and the one I look at is Bedford vehicles (I think) with a lot of knowledgable people on there regarding dates and serial numbers. The other forum is something like Rsoles, which is apparantly dedicated to RL trucks!

Hope this may help.

Richard

Dave,

Just had a thought.........try contacting Bedford Genuine Parts, down in Kent. They are the official source of parts back up for the MoD's remaining fleet of Bedfords and took over the parts business from predescors, ERF and Marshalls. One of my ex-colleagues from the MoD works there and I believe they have very good records available. A letter from them would be very good proof for MVT verification to approve.

info@bedfordgenuineparts.com

Also, just found an army parts list for RL cargo and MT repair models with a specific reference regarding a batch of vehicles, number 48CL88 to 49CL36. Book is dated June 1961, so that puts your RL before that date.

Richard

I still have my RL wrecker but it is in a sad state with a very rotten cab. I registered mine about 1985 and at that time it was important that it was registered before 1/1/60 so I could drive it on an ordinary licence. Now there is a bit of detail that is not well known about dates of manufacture of MV's and that is that Swansea will take the date of ORDERING not the date of the actual vehicles' exit from the factory (or its date in service). This is due to the vehicles having identical details with production spread over several years, unlike civilian vehicles. My Valentine for example was built in 1943, no question but it is registered at Swansea as a 1941, the date it was ordered. They chose this detail from the paperwork in preference to the date of completion which was also included. If you can get a copy of the contract card from the logistics Museum then that should be sufficient. If I remember, my RL came out of the factory in 1961 but is registered as 1958.