Moulding a beret

LarryH57

If it needs shrinking alternatly place in hot and cold water for a few mins each then put it on your head and mould to shape needed then wear it untill dry, it should then stay in shape. The ribbon at the back is not worn in a bow as the french do but tied in a knot and the ends pushed bach up the hem out of sight.

Put it in boiling water, but take care not to immerse it totally. If you just boil the woollen part, you'll get a fitted beret that looks good. If you boil the whole lot including leather band you'll get a silly tiny hat. I learned this the hard way in 1972 after being told "boil your beret" by an NCO who didn't think to mention the rest...

After 18 years of wearing my ferret in the rain and cold and using it to demist windscreens, hold hot dinner plates, polish shoes, a frisby, blowing across car parks and pretty much anything else you can think of, it fits a real treat now. Only problem is it's a bit worn out and I reckon if the SWO catches me with it on he'll order me to get a new one and it'll be another 18 years to get that one sorted.

A correctly shaped beret looks fantastic,very smart but the state of some of the berets I see and where the cap badges are is disgusting and like most "fashion" looks( I know civvy) like trs hanging around blokes ankles I personally think(apart from on the Paras) these stupidly shaped and stupidly worn berets look ridiculous and it should be stamped out.

If it needs shrinking alternatly place in hot and cold water for a few mins each then put it on your head and mould to shape needed then wear it untill dry, it should then stay in shape. The ribbon at the back is not worn in a bow as the french do but tied in a knot and the ends pushed back up the hem out of sight.

UNLESS you were with an Airborne Unit! I was attached for just over Two years to the Para's. They have a VERY distinctive shape to the World Famous Maroon Beret. It is moulded differently to ANY other 'Official' shape & done Deliberately by these Guys. It is difficult to describe on here how it is done. BUT one of the peculiarities of their headwear is. Because (Going back in the day!) Beret head size adjustment ribbons were tied & hidden away. If they were left in a loose Bow at the rear. It would look 'Untidy' & potentially catch on 'projections' in an exercise/manoeuvre environment. (Remember, They sport the Beret Proudly at all possible times! & only wear a Helmet when in Action, On Parachute Jumps, on the Ranges. & on some occasions on Exercise/Maneuvers) I found out the hard way from the Rifle Company SGT Major I was the Armourer for. I got a RIGHT Boll*cking for not having a bow at the rear. & 2 x Extra Guard Duties! He did explain however, how I was to effect 'The Right Look'. & made a Bow out of a flat shoelace & then had to Sew at the middle rear position of my Beret! I asked Why it should be so. He said, 'Because a Beret SHOULD have a bow'! & that was it! End of! Once correctly shaped & sporting my new Bow. I have to say, like all other Airborne Friends I made at the Battalion. I was immensely Proud to wear 'The Maroon Machine'. And Like them, defended the Battalion Fiercely when challenged!.....(I guess I was as Brainwashed as they were back then! LOL)