vehicle tag question.

.303fan

Arjan,

Any of the tags are important.

For the most part the series Land Rovers have their serial number, often referred to now as a VIN in at least 3 places so if the one on the seat box is gone the identity of the vehicle can be checked.

Personally I like to start on the chassis rail on the right side outer forward of the front axle where it is stamped into the chassis. If the chassis has been replaced it will be missing im am thinking.

The engine bay has in the area of the brake master cylinder a plate withe the serial number.

After that some of the trucks have a civilian style serial number plate and a military one as well.

I have a friend with a Dutch lightweight, do you need pictures?

A replacement, I would think, could be made.

My 2 cents worth.

R

in holland the only id it needs is the bit on the chassis, load capacity and axle loads are on the registration papers. the 109 has it id tag missing, same as the military plate with the repairs on it.

not an issue legally, i like to get it complete again.

the wife's 109 has the wrong tag on the seatbox, it gives issues with the mot, i like to have one made to match chassis number, v5c number and id tag under the bonnet.

the civilian series 2 88 has one missing in the uk, i am looking to buy the vehicle but again, i like to have it complete.

my dutch lightweight (not much original) has got all tags same as the 101's and my 2a diesel has got all tags and is being restored on a new chassis.

you can buy most as reproductions on ebay

From what I have read, for the UK they are not a legal requirement as the chassis number is on the chassis and the engine number is on the engine. But I have seen them marketed with the comments "avoid any hassles next MOT"

Oddly enough many of the repro plates I just saw online were from the US. Odd as there has been a recent crackdown on a cottage industry of importing newer Land Rovers with old plates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jik109uz1mA

i will ask if he can produce the ones i need, including the 1962 military plate on the bulkhead. there might be a market for them, and if needed a option to bulk buy as a group.

and yes i have seen the defender being destroyed, did less to me then seeing the mk1 militant die.