Sturgeon's for sale?

BRDM Driver

I see they are described as very very rare which I suppose is true for once! I think they may struggle to sell to enthusiasts though, even being diesels as there are a lot more to come through. If you wanted a cheap(ish) way into CVRT ownership, and a diesel one to boot I think they would be worth a punt...

Timbo

OK whats a Sturgeon, googled it but nothing definitive ?

the Sturgeon was a mock up of what might be an enemy AFV but based on a CVR(T) purely for training purposes. It came from an idea thought up by a member of REME who it was named after. Think they were mainly used in Suffield and possible Salisbury Plain.

As with all of these things, the parts will come along eventually if you're patient and keep an ear to the ground.

Regarding scrap value, I've seen lots cut up recently and know they must be worth a reasonable amount otherwise the scrap yard wouldn't have bought them and invested a lot of time stripping them bare.

Chris

Your right there Chris, last year when I purchaces some of the petrol CVRTs,one to rebuild and one for spares, I was told by Withams I would be able to get about 2200 for a clean Sultan hull, but the only scrapyard that would accept this would be EMR (Euro Metal Recycling).So works out about 600 a ton.

I did note one of the Sturgeons was in mint condition, and not used since base overhaul,but still had instrument cluster, and odometer removed?

Regarding scrap value, I've seen lots cut up recently and know they must be worth a reasonable amount otherwise the scrap yard wouldn't have bought them and invested a lot of time stripping them bare.

Chris,

It seems there is an outlet for scrap alloy armour now, but back some years ago, I have known of several scrapyards who have bought in CVR(T) and found that no one wanted the metal. Could be it is now recycled to its original source.

• 1 month later...

It's not just a question of how long it would last. The Diesel engine is slower revving so the diesel gearbox input module is geared differently to give the same top speed. I believe David Brown will convert a petrol one to a diesel for you at a cost of £58000.

Chris

It's not just a question of how long it would last. The Diesel engine is slower revving so the diesel gearbox input module is geared differently to give the same top speed. I believe David Brown will convert a petrol one to a diesel for you at a cost of £58000.

Chris

Just £58000 I'll dip in my pocket and see what loose change I can find

Still worth a punt on for someone they just might have to wait a while for gearbox to turn up

I'm confused, our friend Nick (CVRTNick) has had one of these for years - it is well known on the circuit as it was one of the first CVRTs to be released. It has an incomplete MCT turret which would be for a two-rail Milan launcher. Internally it should have stowage for multiple Milan tubes and would be very 'cosy' as a result.

I have also always understood that they saw service in the first Gulf war so were there two different versions, one a mock-up and one an actual combat vehicle?

Googling CVRT Spartan MCT comes up with a number of sand-coloured ones bouncing over dunes.

- MG

Mike,

The Sturgeons are probably the same Spartans you've seen bouncing over the dunes, but the Milan turrets haven't been used in that role for years. In BATUS they were just used for training so they will have ripped the interior out and put some seats in the back, along with the LEP upgrade and bowman conversion.

Chris