Sherman II (M4A1) El Alamein Questions

GaDave

Hello Sherman aficionados,

I apologize if this is inappropriate for this forum, but....

I need help with my model of the October 1942 El Alamein Sherman II (M4A1). My plan is to build this tank of "B" squadron 3rd Royal Tank Regiment.

My questions:

(1) Was the demarcation between the camo colours hard (brush painted) or soft (sprayed)?

(2) Which type of the two grouser bin / gas tank vent covers on the upper hull at the back of the tank should I use? The choices are rounded or squared off covers.

(3) The engine deck has depressions at the far corners next to the engine access door corners. Dragon have parts to fill these if the modeler wishes to. Which, if any, should I use?

(4) Were three perpendicular straps across the back of the box attached to the rear of the turret usually used?

(5) should I add the lifting loops on the suspension bogies? And If so should they face up or down?

(6) Any other suggestions and points to make the Oct. '42 Sherman II better would be much appreciated. Thanks for taking a look at this and for any help you can offer.

Best,

Dave:thanx:

image.jpg

Edited by GaDave

Hi, Secondshooter,

The picture/artwork is from the enclosure with a Bison decal sheet. Don't know, but doubt there are same for a bofors. Looks like we're both having a hard time.:embarrassed: Anyway, thanks for looking, and good luck!

Cheers,

Dave

Dave, your questions might be answered if you post them on http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ in the armour section. There are a lot of guys on there who know all the answers, plus a lot more who THINK they do! Have a seach on there first because I'm sure somebody will have asked the same question already.

Regarding secondshooter's query on Bofors camo, I'm curator of the 15th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment Museum and we've got a lot of photos of Bofors guns in the desert but I've only got a couple which show any disruptive markings. All the rest are appears to be a single colour which I assume is light stone. The barrels are usually in factory finish black, sometimes overpainted to a greater or lesser extent. I've never seen any reference to a standard disruptive scheme for a Bofors. Its shape was probably such that it didn't need much in the way of disruptive.

The third photo was a victory parade after the fall of Tunis so I wouldn't put much credence on the disruptive scheme shown there because the guns could have been painted like that as a bullsh*t exercise!

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg