Perentie RFSV

juddy

OH GO AWAY! :cry: It has the Isuzui engine hasn't it? I had a Range Rover with a similar engine fitted, loved it! There was a Perentie on test at Chertsey at the time, so I phoned them and asked were there any problems with the engine? The reply was 'Don't overfill with oil'. My engine did 500,0000 mils that I know of.

Dear Juddy,

Grand looking truck you have there.

Could you tell us about the buying process and what you have had to do to kit the truck out and any hoops you had to jump through to road register it?

I'm sure many people here are interested to learn more about these trucks as they come out of service.

Can you perhaps show some detail shots like engine etc?

How does it handle comared to other Land Rovers you have driven.

Thank you

R

Dear Juddy,

Grand looking truck you have there.

Could you tell us about the buying process and what you have had to do to kit the truck out and any hoops you had to jump through to road register it?

I'm sure many people here are interested to learn more about these trucks as they come out of service.

Can you perhaps show some detail shots like engine etc?

How does it handle comared to other Land Rovers you have driven.

Thank you

R

Every month we have sales at different locations around the country, you bid online for the vehicle you want, most are GS and FFR, with some 6x6 as well, you can inspect and start the vehicles but not drive them.

Registering seems to be very hit and miss, some people have had no problems at all others issues, pen pushers who have no idea of the rules.

Recent hard top survey, most have been sold of just a few left, along with the 5 door Perentie station wagons.

Screenshot2013-08-21at82225PM_zpsa04034e3.png

GS and FFR theres alot of these around

DSC_0515_zpsec50d6a2.jpg

DSC_0519_zps1007a747.jpg

The theres the 6x6 units

DSC_0505_zps9fe26e93.jpg

DSC_0506_zps403e419e.jpg

DSC_0508_zps2e4e164b.jpg

DSC_0507_zps1ae3b593.jpg

Screenshot2013-08-14at22455PM_zps45408fde.png

Screenshot2013-08-14at22506PM_zpsb07a802f.png

Then there my RFSV

Designed as a long range patrol variant, twin fuel tanks, different bull bar with high lift jack mount, side bush bars, 3x spare wheels, Steel split rims, higher roof line to allow for rear facing crew seat, double jerry can mounts, internal power socket, disk brakes all round, power steering, the gs and ffr dont have this, upgraded says axles.

DSC_0578_zpsdd05b498.jpg

Screenshot2013-09-29at54456PM_zps82eba27d.png

Screenshot2013-09-29at53731PM_zpsd8ac6cd0.png

DSC_0435_zps1e91a1c7.jpg

DSC_0337_zps02647154.jpg

DSC_0372_zpsfc1de9e7.jpg

DSC_0363_zpsf83209e0.jpg

DSC_0359_zps63e1be2f.jpg

DSC_0440_zpse8129d94.jpg

DSC_0038_zps91f7e1c1.jpg

DSC_0036_zps49058263.jpg

Oh i forgot to say its amazing to drive, I love it to bits, its only for speed box, and ideally it needs a turbo, one day it will get one, but for now its perfect, its better to live with than a series and the turning circle is better than my 130..

Another oddity about the Perentie's is the 6x6 cab is wider than a normal Land Rover cab.

When first introduced there was a lot of roll overs which I personally feel was because drivers drove them like a series, but the same amount of revs equated to quite a different velocity. Roll over protection system was rushed into service.

• 1 month later...

A couple of comments.

Mike, the roll over factor I think was more attributed to the fact that drivers dont get the same feed back through their backsides and drive coil sprung vehicles way too fast. This happened out here at BATUS when the switch occurred and the new season of all coil sprung vehicles entered service on the prairies.

The damage rate was stupidly high and too add to the problem the series windscreen is much tougher being a galvanised steel item and not aluminum / aluminium.

I was told directly in person by a number of senior REME types who I have met who were in service with the vehicles at the time. I can see no reason to doubt that this was the same down under.

Dont forget, Tom Barton, a once senior Land Rover engineer when once asked what he attributed to the long lifspan of the then series Land Rover to replied "The longevity of the vehicle is directly indexed to the discomfort felt by the driver" ie if you get shaken up you slow down.

R

Edited by robin craig

Thanks, Robin. All the perenties that I've seen images of (excluding the ones that were in accidents) all looked to be in excelent condition with no rust issues. Seems that Isuzu diesel is a good powerplant too. Do these trucks have any mechaincal or electrical gremlins that one should watch out for?

Matt

Thanks, Robin. All the perenties that I've seen images of (excluding the ones that were in accidents) all looked to be in excelent condition with no rust issues. Seems that Isuzu diesel is a good powerplant too. Do these trucks have any mechaincal or electrical gremlins that one should watch out for?

Matt

Hi Matt,

you should take a look at the REMLR forum, there is a lot of discussion on the Perentie 4x4 and 6x6 and updates on what is coming through the auctions. A friend has just bought a 4x4 110 (I think they never had 90 models ) in the Sydney auction, it is a 1989 model and in perfect condition. Another guy I know has a 6x6. I did drive a 6x6 belonging to the Australian army back about 22 years ago and much better driving position to the normal models, very nice truck.

regards, Richard