Ferret Hub`s wheel station.

cooler07

Hello all..! I`m looking for two wheel station or outer hub assemblies for 2 Ferret`s mk2/3. Have 2 friends that have broke there`s and we are trying to find some. Have been contacting all the normal places in the UK, just seeing if anyone here has any. I`m in the US Texas and partly own a Saladin #04CC45 "we think that`s right number" and just trying to help out some folks. Thanks for any info.

Since no-one has replied then maybe someone should.

Do you realise the weight of a wheel station? shipping and handling will be phenomenal, that is if you can locate one. Tim Vibert in Aus may have one or two. But why not try replacing the damaged parts, which will be a lot easier and less costly.

I'm sure that advice will be a lot more forthcoming about repairs than trying to locate two complete wheel stations.

Diana

Hello all..! I`m looking for two wheel station or outer hub assemblies for 2 Ferret`s mk2/3. Have 2 friends that have broke there`s and we are trying to find some. Have been contacting all the normal places in the UK, just seeing if anyone here has any. I`m in the US Texas and partly own a Saladin #04CC45 "we think that`s right number" and just trying to help out some folks. Thanks for any info.

Since no-one has replied then maybe someone should.

Do you realise the weight of a wheel station? shipping and handling will be phenomenal, that is if you can locate one. Tim Vibert in Aus may have one or two. But why not try replacing the damaged parts, which will be a lot easier and less costly.

I'm sure that advice will be a lot more forthcoming about repairs than trying to locate two complete wheel stations.

Diana

Thanks for info, currently in contact with Tim Vibert , under stand about weight but can`t doing anything with old hubs because the sun gear really messed up the hub itself. So really need to replace the complete outer wheel station. Guess its the price we pay to play!!!!!!:laugh:

Thanks for info, currently in contact with Tim Vibert , under stand about weight but can`t doing anything with old hubs because the sun gear really messed up the hub itself. So really need to replace the complete outer wheel station. Guess its the price we pay to play!!!!!!:laugh:

Is this relating to a Ferret owned by Jeff in Texas? If it is Jeff's then it is not the sun gear that has caused this damage, but the fact that the six bolts have loosened causing the dowels to fail and planet carrier become detached. Not an uncommon occurence when in service. He has been in email contact several weeks ago and sent photos. Again, if this is the one, it can be rebuilt if parts were available, I have done many of these over the years, the hub carrier and planet carrier are the main parts required.

Also Richard the picture of the hub I posted is from Glen`s left rear, question as far as the part in the picture are they the same for all stations? Thanks James

Hi James,

What you are showing here is the hub carrier, this one (Glen's) is a rear, I think that Jeff's was a front. Front and rear carriers are different. The holes in the end face are for 6 x dowels and 6 x retaining bolts. The damage you say is caused by the sun gear is in fact the planet carrier itself. This was a widely known problem when in army service and frequent checks made to ensure the planet carrier was not becoming loose. The planet carrier retains the hub and shims between the faces are to adjust the wheel bearing clearance. What you show in the photo is not reclaimable. I am certain that the planet carrier and hub carrier were supplied as a matched set.

regards, Richard

Thanks Richard you are the man!!!!:-) I should have gotten the correct names for the parts in question. And you are correct Jeff`s is a front right and Glen`s left rear. I have found a rear carrier and from looking at pictures it looks like the rears are the same. I should have know that the front`s would have to be different because of steering. And as you say this carrier is un workable. Glen`s going to be crying tonight.

Thanks Richard you are the man!!!!:-) I should have gotten the correct names for the parts in question. And you are correct Jeff`s is a front right and Glen`s left rear. I have found a rear carrier and from looking at pictures it looks like the rears are the same. I should have know that the front`s would have to be different because of steering. And as you say this carrier is un workable. Glen`s going to be crying tonight.

Hi James,

I am sending you a PM

I was discussing this predicament with a visiting UK HMVF member (more on that later) yesterday and we decided that the decision to sit on our second Ferret as a spares resource may just be the smartest move out there judging by your post.

And by the way, dont throw out what you consider to be a knackered unit because right now if you see the lengths that the people looking after First Wold War trucks are doing to make parts then your knackered unit is well within "restoreable" quality margins.

Trust me, as the availability dwindles the more keen you will be to rebuild such an item.

R