Dodge WC51, Date of Manufacture

Carlinuk

The best way is to do as Tony suggested, getting the build card for your Dodge. The card clearly states the date of manufacture and I'm sure the DMV will accept that as proof of year of manufacture.

Most, if not all, Dodge WC's that are left have been rebuilt at least once during the course of its life. My own WC51, built on February 12 1945, and purchased from the Norwegian army in 1994, had a rebuild tag from the Rootes Corporation in Birmingham England from August 1955. It is a mix of early and late features, i.e. it has the early (1942) high sided seats, etc.

Checking out the Dodge Forum at

http://forum.ww2dodge.com/

is a good start.

Choosing the markings for your vehicle is an important part of the restoration. Check for markings that not everyone has, like 101/506 or 82nd AB, there's plenty of those at every rally, dare to be different. I choose to mark mine as an ambulance of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force in Italy in late 1944:

½½½Dodge-WC51-FEB-hopital-Livorno_websized_001.jpg

Good luck, and make sure to post plenty of photos here =)

Goran N

I agree with Goran, by the time they reach 70 odd years old, a lot of changes. My WC54 has a US ordnance rebuild from Germany dated 1952, she was Norwegian, so is my WC51. I have the WC54 marked up pre D-Day as she would have been of a USAAF base in England. My WC51 is marked up in the signs for Force 135 the Liberation force for the English Channel Islands, I come from Jersey. Part of the fun, if your not working on the vehicle you can research units and historys to decide what you want. Nice to give them a name as well! :-D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9m8RMHLE4A

• 4 weeks later...

Just received my Dodge WC51 build card yesterday, having followed the process provided on this forum. It took around 3 weeks for the copy of the card to come back, and my WC51 Serial 81730560 was built 8th Sept 1944 - a month earlier than I'd calculated.

Thanks to the forum for providing the necessary info to get this.

For DVLA registration, I'm not sure a copy of the build card would be enough. I've registered several vehicles over the years, and the DVLA want the originals of most documents and won't accept copies. The easiest way I've found is to get the MVT or IMPS to verify your vehicles age - the DVLA will accept their dating as authorative.

Never had a problem with DVLA using the build card. My WC51 was on the VL5 as 1945. Her build date was 24th October 1944. Being picky I wanted the 1944 date. DVLA changed it with no problem. The WC54 is 4th February 1944, so yours is the middle sister!

Edited by Tony B

Build Card should be fine, MVT can authenticate it to the stamping on the chassis if required.

Original Build Cards don't exist of course, you are just getting a print of a microfiche anyway.

An image of the Build Card to;

commander@command-car.com

please, and then you can view the Build Card listing at;

http://www.command-car.com/technik/technikbuildcards.html

• 3 months later...

Car-wise? nothing. It's a heavy chunk of material. Most of the car tilt-bed transporters will struggle with it.

Small plant-hire truck or recovery truck. You could put it on a really big Ifor Williams but the total weight would mean you'd need a truck to tow it.

It should sit at 55mph all day long ....

Mine wont! It has a rev limiter on it, so 40mph is the max I get. That doesn't bother me too much as I stick to slower 'A' roads when going places, and the slower speed means it is faster to stop when a numbty cuts you up!

Stop/start driving gives me about 8 to 9mpg while a steady run can give 12 to 15mpg. I've done 2500 miles in mine since Sept 2010. No point in trying to tow it if it drives! My longest trips so far have been around 120 miles each way. Hard work on twisting roads, but great fun.

ok cheers for the advice looks like ill be driving it then get me winter coat out.brrrr!!!!:cry:

What the FAF is the point of owning a Dodge if you DON'T drive it? :-D I've done quite a few miles in mine, wet, dry , hot and cold, including some experiences that you'd not get in any other vehicle.

The factory governor was set to kick in at 55 - if yours is set lower it isn't doing you any favours.

Do not, under any circumstances, remove the governor completely - bad things happen. ;)

The MVT dated my 1944 WC51 as a 1942 :red: I used the build card to get it corrected!

I am sure the MVT only went on the evidence provided at the time of the inspection. They do not have definitive lists of build dates.

You will need a dating cetificate from a relevant club to register the vehicle.

The DVLA will not accept anything else for first registration.

They may accept other evidence to amend a date on the V5

Dont forget you will have to follow the NOVA process before you try to register it.

Our WC54 sits nicely at 40mph on runs and gives around 14-16mpg which suits us as the jeep and trailer don't like much more when in convoy. We were recovered a few years ago after an oil leak and small fire and despite telling the recovery firm the weight they sent out a truck slightly bigger than the dodge, as they winched her on the truck's wheels cleared the road by two inches for a split second. Once we were moving and had full fuel on the recovery truck it was a little more stable on the road. Ours is about august 1942, must get round to applying for the build card, but was rebuilt 1952 in Germany then to the Norweigans.

Where abouts was your rebuilt? My WC54 has a US , German rebuild plate for the sane period, then to Norway.

The engine was rebuilt at the Karlsfield ordnance factory (ex BMW aero engine factory) can't remember a plate on the body or chassis though and when we knocked the paint back on the drivers door we found a painted rebuilt notice but where we cut the rot out removed where the rebuild happened unfortunately. Do you have a plate as well as the engine one?

I am sure the MVT only went on the evidence provided at the time of the inspection. They do not have definitive lists of build dates.

You will need a dating cetificate from a relevant club to register the vehicle.

The DVLA will not accept anything else for first registration.

They may accept other evidence to amend a date on the V5

Dont forget you will have to follow the NOVA process before you try to register it.

It was registered 5 years ago as a 1942, based on a letter provided by the MVT. I appreciate that the MVT covers a huge range of vehicles and don't have lists of definitive build dates, but as a novice and first time MV owner I was able to ascertain that the vehicle was a late '43/early '44 just by visiting the Dodge forum. It took all of 5 minutes to find this out using the serial number.

It was registered 5 years ago as a 1942, based on a letter provided by the MVT. I appreciate that the MVT covers a huge range of vehicles and don't have lists of definitive build dates, but as a novice and first time MV owner I was able to ascertain that th

e vehicle was a late '43/early '44 just by visiting the Dodge forum. It took all of 5 minutes to find this out using the serial number.

IAm sure the inspector acted in good faith when he dated the vehicle. He would also take a lead of the owner as regards the date of manufacture. If the vehicle was in your ownership then perhaps you should have done the research first and discussed this at the time of inspection.

I cannot comment on the actual detail of this verification as I was not verification officer then.

The engine was rebuilt at the Karlsfield ordnance factory (ex BMW aero engine factory) can't remember a plate on the body or chassis though and when we knocked the paint back on the drivers door we found a painted rebuilt notice but where we cut the rot out removed where the rebuild happened unfortunately. Do you have a plate as well as the engine one?

Yes I'll get a photo for you.

IAm sure the inspector acted in good faith when he dated the vehicle. He would also take a lead of the owner as regards the date of manufacture. If the vehicle was in your ownership then perhaps you should have done the research first and discussed this at the time of inspection.

I cannot comment on the actual detail of this verification as I was not verification officer then.

The vehicle wasn't in my ownership at the time of inspection. I bought it from a seller who'd imported a large number of Dodges and so didn't question the quoted date of manufacture. It's no big deal though as I'm not bothered whether it's a '42 or a '44. I set out to buy a WC51 and that's what I got :-)