Withams tender results

sim60

I have always thought that in an ideal world we would post up as much info on each sale on a publicly accessible forum such as this so that those who follow behind will know what went on all those years ago.

I know many of you do track it at home for your own records.

R

Sure, Robin - but I would have thought much of the detailed info would only be of interest 'at the time'.

Just the detailed info from these tender sales could turn into a huge database, the vast bulk of which would only be of interest to a few people. Imagine if this site contained all the auction results from the Ruddington Sales :wow:.

Posts 2 and 3 above demonstrate how effective the forum can be at putting folk in touch with each other for specific information - presumably they will have exchanged the required information.

It has to be assumed that anyone with specific current interests in this gear and what it sells for would be following the sales and results posted on the seller's website in real time.

If what you mean is just a general overview then agreed, and I guess this would be of greater interest to more folk. For example it would be of passing interest to know the average price that AEC Matadors were selling for in 1968, or Saladins in 2004, or Bedford TM 6x6 in 2013, but surely of no interest what a specific lot number went for (unless you happened to own it!).

I'm pretty sure that someone on here would have the odd Ruddington catalogue with prices scribbled alongside, so that sort of information might still be available on request thanks to the Forum?

Edited by N.O.S.

AS one of those sad people who collect sales catalogues the information in them is of limited interest unless you want to as said know what the price of say a queen mary trailer in 1945 which was 19 pounds 19 shillings or the wartime registration

number or condition to me it is of great importance but in one case the largest sale of wartime vehicles there are over

forty thousand listed vehicles THIS bit of history is as important as when it was made or where it served its the on going

story

Well said Wally. The only way you can interpret condition from just prices is by comparing against the highest and lowest sale prices fetched I guess.

40,000 vehicles? Wow - that must have taken a few auctioneers to get through!!

Tony

who might just have a few Ruddington catalogues himself......:blush:

TONY the forty thousand vehicles took three and a half years to sell it raised the most money of any sale of wartime vehicle sale i have two of every catalogue there is a code for condition price for every one these where the accountants

books as well as the orginal acounts who was working for the ministry of supply IT GIVES EVERY REGISTRATION NUMBER

I would think it would be of great interest if you started a new thread with the story behind this sale (when was it?) and including just a few samples of the information contained - maybe scans of a few pages?

I don't even know when and for how long the Ruddington sales ran - my dad went to a few hence the odd catalogues, though I can't remember where I stored them safely now!

I'm still trying to find out more about the disposals in Europe to the various countries also via Marshall Plan etc.

That's interesting, thanks Richard. Looks like the average price per vehicle was £108 which given a relatively small percentage of high priced oil engined vehicles (shortage of oil engines at the time) suggests around £100 each.

My dad was paying £150 around 1947 for a virtually unused GMC 6x6 (albeit with frosted block - very easily repaired) from a second-in-line dealer, so that dealer could have made probably a 30 - 50% markup which sounds about right.

RICHARD found the AEC mentioned in the article they got the price wrong it was £2850 wartime reg 6192683 and was lot

number 152

Hi Wally,

According to the Chilwell list, L6192683 was a Foden 10 ton 6x4, which ties up with the Commercial Motor article. That was a high price, guess there was some competition to by the heavy commercial diesel lorries. I saw a photo recently of one of these in use with a haulier.