what thinners to mix with nato paint

David Ives

ok going to spray the truck and trailer soon what thinners do i have to get to mix with nato paint so i can use a spray gun on it please all help gratefully received as never used a spray gun before but the truck has to many odd parts to roller it

You need to ask your paint manufacturer which thinners they suggest. As for ratio, you need to experiment a bit and see what works best. Practice on something first, a big card board box works for me, get your fan the right shape and make sure the paint is atomising nicely. I find I don't need much thinners.

You need to ask your paint manufacturer which thinners they suggest. As for ratio, you need to experiment a bit and see what works best. Practice on something first, a big card board box works for me, get your fan the right shape and make sure the paint is atomising nicely. I find I don't need much thinners.

Correct, I have just done the very same thing while painting our W.C. 51....... I also gave the pain info to my supplier, he provided the correct thinners, again, not too much thinners in the paint.

Agree with above. Its most likely standard Cellulose thinners about £11 a gallon for most standard type NATO paint you buy by the 5 litre tin. Mix very, very well normally about 20% thinners to 80% paint, stir with a clean wooden stick/rod. To check for the right mix pull the mixing stick out of the paint and the paint on the stick should flow off the stick in an even steady stream, that means it will flow through the gun nicely, no lumps or sticking to the stick and dropping in drops.

Hold your hand out stretchered , thats the distance the gun should be from the vehicle and keep the gun at 90 degrees to the work at all times. Paint in a even coat keeping a wet edge that you paint away from, don't go back over it and don't mess about or be tempted to redo any unless its dried and you are doing a second coat. If you get runs either the paint is too thin or you have put too much on at once, if the gun 'squeaks' the paint is too thick.

As you apply watch the texture of the paint after it hits the vehicle, after a while you will be able to see what enough looks like.

Practice first, its just a knack, its easy once you get a feel for it.

Hi, I was advised to try white spirit when I used paint from Frank Burberry years ago which worked great and again recently with the paint from marcus glen I used white spirit . Worth a try perhaps as thinners loves to react and muck up the job if the surface isn't cleaned or prepared 100% or don't like the old paint . . White spirit was much more forgiving to the non professional painter and has given a excellent paint job . Like every has said its always best to experiment first .

martin

thanks for the advice everyone had a go today and the catering trailer looks nice and clean ready for airbourne next week in eastbourne will try and post some pictures up i ended up with the nato paint that i had not having to add any thinners to it and it sprayed out ok now just to do all the bodywork on the truck before painting that as there are a few holes to patch first