Removing jeep gearbox and transfer.

Rick W

I need to take out the gearbox and transfer out of the jeep. Having to do it in the garage at home. Is this possible, if very awkward? Has anyone done it if so any tips? Do I need to lift off tub? Any tips gratefully received and will post photos on the progress as reference to others.:-)

When I dropped the gearbox out of my jeep I just used the trolley jack and wood supports. It's quite an easy job, you'll need to jack the jeep up on axle stands. The hardest part was undoing the nuts around the flywheel as mine had obviously not been removed for years.

Just remember to put a bar through the front springs to support the engine or an alternative solution is a block of wood between the fire wall and the rear of the block it does the same thing and prevents the engine from sagging and ripping off the front engine mounts and putting the fan blades through the rad.

Pete

I've done it a couple of times. The workshop manual says remove the radiator hoses, I couldn't work out why until I didn't !! The slightest movement of the engine up and down will break the bottom radiator outlet because the hoses don't have any flex in them and breaks the radiator outlet. The next time I did it I removed the radiator mounting nuts so when the engine moved down at the back the radiator moved up with the front.

The rest is pretty easy I actually laid on my back and dropped it onto my tummy and then the floor, a trolley jack is most likely a much better idea !!

Andy

I need to take out the gearbox and transfer out of the jeep. Having to do it in the garage at home. Is this possible, if very awkward? Has anyone done it if so any tips? Do I need to lift off tub? Any tips gratefully received and will post photos on the progress as reference to others.:-)

Hi Rick I can't believe your going to crawl around on your back at home lifting out the box when you have such a well equipped workshop.

My advise, get the jeep on the 4 poster and save yourself a lot of hard work & time mate.

See you soon when i'm passing for another coffee, Ian

Hi there, I'm not sure if it is true but I was told if you intend to SPLIT the transfer box from the gearbox you should always put the gearbox in gear first ? Something to do with the bearings moving making reassembly impossible. A friend who did mine had the same problem and had to get gearbox stripped to get everything back in line :undecided: Someone here will know for sure. By the way he did mine in his garage on a trolley jack so it is possible, he may have taken the engine out first though.

Hi there, I'm not sure if it is true but I was told if you intend to SPLIT the transfer box from the gearbox you should always put the gearbox in gear first ? Something to do with the bearings moving making reassembly impossible. A friend who did mine had the same problem and had to get gearbox stripped to get everything back in line :undecided: Someone here will know for sure. By the way he did mine in his garage on a trolley jack so it is possible, he may have taken the engine out first though.

Yes, correct, if the transfer box is separated from the gearbox, the output shaft and bearing can come out of the gearbox, then the syncromesh unit will separate, no option then but to strip the gearbox to reassemble the syncro

Edited by Nick Johns

I had to do it, my gears where all chipped due to previous owner running it with what appears to of been mostly water with a thin layer of oil on top :D.

As a ham fisted amateur, I did a lot of reading and forum searching. Jacks an blocks seemed to be order of the day...

Top,tips after struggling over 3 ! Days.

1. Get an extra set of hands !

2. All this talk of two jacks etc......get an extra set of hands :D

3. I used a strap passed through the hole in the tub where the cover and levers are, a winch if you got one to support it and wrap it round the box/transfer case.

4.Pre Plan to move the box/transfer case around once it's out ! a small wheeled trolley would be good. As it went for me I used a big sheet of plywood and dragged it out on that. It is a fair old lump mind.

5. Putting it back in...get an extra set of hands

6. The strap/winch combo worked really well, but what I ended up doing was supporting the weight and my extra set of hands actually pushed the Jeep back a bit to mate the box to the bell housing.

7. Don't forget the clutch rod arm that sits on the ball joint on the case side or, like me, you will get it all fixed on have a tea pat yourself on the back and then go to connect it up......My neighbour at the back reckons he could hear me swearing and he was in the bath at the time :nut:.

Definetly a case of having done it twice now, it's not so imposing . Rebuilding the box was actually quite an interesting and simple affair, never having so much as looked inside a gearbox before, now I reckon I could strip and assemble it in 5 minutes ! (Maybe 10). Also interesting my box/transfer turned out to be a mash up of Willys, Hotchkiss and F scripted bits.

good luck keep us posted

Nick

7. Don't forget the clutch rod arm that sits on the ball joint on the case side or, like me, you will get it all fixed on have a tea pat yourself on the back and then go to connect it up......

Hi Nick,

I leave the clutch arm out and fit it later. The arms have a tendency to crack and can definitely be changed through the letter box, you need to be like a gynaecologist though :-D

Hi Nick,

I leave the clutch arm out and fit it later. The arms have a tendency to crack and can definitely be changed through the letter box, you need to be like a gynaecologist though :-D

Now there's a thing Mr Farrant................... or is it Dr ??:cool2:

Shocked of Wales

It takes a more time but for me its a lot easier to take the motor and tranny/transfer out as a unit.

That way you don't have to worry about the clutch tube, aligning the tranny input shaft etc etc.

If you have a 4 post lift and jacks its easier that way... but I don't.