Radio Masts in WW2

Wolfy

Ok being a radio virgin can anyone tell me what (if any) telescopic radio masts were used in WW2?

Basically I want one to go with some WW2 vehicles for a display, I'm not too fussed if its post war but looks roughly correct.

Can anyone advise what is appropriate and where to buy them? It shouldnt be too large and heavy though.

Many Thanks :-)

Carleton

Hi I was going to say the same as Monty2 - the Canadian telescopic mast (20 and 34 foot variants) was the prototype for the 27 foot Larkspur which is much more common. Most of the other portable masts were sectional with equal-diameter sections that plugged or screwed together end to end. I remember in my youth the Ipswich radio club had a sectional mast of that kind erected with the aid of a gin pole - similar to but not RAF type 35. You can see the rack of mast tubes on the side of many WW2 and 1950s wireless trucks. The really big masts were mostly lattice constructions see: http://www.hariggers.co.uk/odds.htm (sorry about formatting issues since using IE10 btw)

I don't think I've seen a real Canadian one for sale in years. The Larkspur ones still turn up on e-Bay fairly often - I sold my last one in January. You need to search for "telescopic mast" as they are often mis-described as Clansman or not identified at all. Unlike the RACAL Clansman 8m and 12m masts they have cylindrical locks rather than levers, are made of steel rather than aluminium, and have a large bare metal "spike" about 30mm diameter at the bottom - the top is also much smaller about 1/2 inch rather than 25mm with a prominent flat disc for attaching guy ropes and wire antennas. They often have green end caps both ends if in as-released-from-service condition. Three things to be aware of is that they jam easily with side loads, there is no pneumatic braking on the way down, and the locks are unpredictable - be careful not to get fingers between them !