How back a "turning back time" picture forum

Locolines

How about a forum where we can post our pictures that have been. "Aged".

He's mine if you want to start it of....

I actually that's a cracking idea. With all the tech that is out there this days - it would be good for us to keep up!

- that said, I don't want to see the senior members of HMVF playing around with images trying to make themselves younger..... :coffee:

I actually that's a cracking idea. With all the tech that is out there this days - it would be good for us to keep up!

- that said, I don't want to see the senior members of HMVF playing around with images trying to make themselves younger..... :coffee:

Photoshop can work wonders, not bl**dy miracles! :-D (Any way the term is 'MATURE'!)

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is thinking of taking some pictures to age it is worth considering real pictures from the past - generally most amateur pictures were taken with something like a box Brownie, and hence are often a bit blurry. Professional shots, on the other hand, were sharply focussed, crisp even, and were taken from the right angle, and showed nothing more and nothing less than what they intended you to see.

So... unless you really know what you are doing, using that well focussed shot taken with some DSLR or bridge camera might not be the best start point for a convincing final image. A simple cameraphone might serve you a whole lot better by putting you halfway to that 'Brownie' style shot with a whole lot less editing effort.

For my images I use my cameraphone or I quickly click thru the automatic settings on my little camera until what I am seeing looks the most like the result I finally want.

Oh, and if you have no one draping themselves over your vehicle, consider getting down on one knee and try taking a shot from that height. My wife usually drags me back up if I get stuck :-D

trevor

One problem with modern digital images is that they lack the sharp contrast of the old black-and-white film of the 1940's. Digital images need to get a good boost both in contrast, as well as sharpening.

Another problem is when you desaturate, or remove the color, from a digital color image, that the black/white just doesn't look normal.

Many modern digital images are taken with zoom lenses, these were non existent in the 1940's. Photographs were taken with regular 50mm lenses. The only zoom lens available for a photographer then was to use a "NIKE zoom", i.e. to step back to get whatever he was shooting to fit within the frame =)

There are several really handy plug-ins to use together with Photoshop. The Plugin Site's "BW Styler" is one, DXO Film Pack, is another. You apply different filters and settings, and it's all very intuitive. You get excellent results.

I use brushes to sparingly apply scratches, it's easy to overdo it.

It's almost more work to "ruin" a photograph and make it look older than it is to restore and old b/w one and colorize it.

Goran N