Gritineyes object of mystery..

gritineye

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The other grain by product that come s bleached is Bran, so is it an army biscuit mill? Trouble with the period is that milling equipment hasn't changed much. The belt drives suggest at least Victorian but any where up to WW1.

Edited by Tony B

The other grain by product that come s bleached is Bran, so is it an army biscuit mill? Trouble with the period is that milling equipment hasn't changed much. The belt drives suggest at least Victorian but any where up to WW1.

Agreed, It's a pretty standard de-hulling (or macerating), cleaning and bleaching (and/or grinding) process.

The Rasper would tend to suggest Sugar Beet Root processing - tearing and macerating, with the settling tanks used for flocculation or raw sugar juice or the first stage of molasses extraction. You said earlier, however that it has nothing to do with sugar processing.

The auger and bolter would tend to suggest post-1780 a-la Oliver Evans, flat belts were used until the 1930s (proven technology and useful for bucket elevators before air ejectors were adopted). The sketch would tend to suggest around the 1830 to 1900 mark though.

Grinders were used for simplicity/cheapness but you can't beat stone or roller-grinding for flour. However I don't think flour/meal was intended here, unless in a lower grade (if army, that could well be the case), it looks more like pulp/waste processing. Again if beets were involved I would say its for producing feed/fodder for animals.

Hmm...... :nut:

That's my tuppenceworth, 'm going to go and lie in a dark room now, this is bothering me..... :D

Alec.

As most of the common grains, and legumes seem to have been covered. I wonder if it is production of an Ersatz product. Such as Acorns for Coffee, maybe Soya? Those cell pictures do look like a drying grain cell though, Wheat?

Edited by Tony B

Agreed, It's a pretty standard de-hulling (or macerating), cleaning and bleaching (and/or grinding) process.

The Rasper would tend to suggest Sugar Beet Root processing - tearing and macerating, with the settling tanks used for flocculation or raw sugar juice or the first stage of molasses extraction. You said earlier, however that it has nothing to do with sugar processing.

The auger and bolter would tend to suggest post-1780 a-la Oliver Evans, flat belts were used until the 1930s (proven technology and useful for bucket elevators before air ejectors were adopted). The sketch would tend to suggest around the 1830 to 1900 mark though.

Grinders were used for simplicity/cheapness but you can't beat stone or roller-grinding for flour. However I don't think flour/meal was intended here, unless in a lower grade (if army, that could well be the case), it looks more like pulp/waste processing. Again if beets were involved I would say its for producing feed/fodder for animals.

Hmm...... :nut:

That's my tuppenceworth, 'm going to go and lie in a dark room now, this is bothering me..... :D

Alec.

Well Alec, good thinking and a great answer, but you have glanced off the target a few times and swerved around a podium place!

If you changed one word you would be almost there...

As most of the common grains, and legumes seem to have been covered. I wonder if it is production of an Ersatz product. Such as Acorns for Coffee, maybe Soya? Those cell pictures do look like a drying grain cell though, Wheat?

No wheat involved, but that is a big clue....

potatoes ?

Richard, you are correct!

How very embarrassing, somehow I missed your answer, please accept my grovelling apologies, the potato is indeed the raw material.

But what is the resulting product, where and when and for whom?

These questions still remain unanswered..

image0.jpg

Edited by gritineye

Richard, you are correct!

How very embarrassing, somehow I missed your answer, please accept my grovelling apologies, the potato is indeed the raw material.

But what is the resulting product, where and when and for whom?

These questions still remain unanswered..

Well that was a surprise !! Well to finish off, is it to do with making a nitro-starch explosive from the spuds, or even to produce Potato flour .........

Well that was a surprise !! Well to finish off, is it to do with making a nitro-starch explosive from the spuds, or even to produce Potato flour .........

Richard you're way too good, it is potato flour! :bow:

" The scarcity of wheat and other grain in central Europe has led to the free use of potato flour in the manufacture of bread in Germany and Austria, how the enemy produce this is interesting."

November 1915

Why they didn't just make Smash I don't understand.

As Clives brain seems to be less affected by contact adhesive fumes than mine I'll probably be leaving these things to him from now on! :red:

Gee thanks Bernard, don't know what to say, thought I was out of the running this morning when you did not comment on my post about potatoes.

Now, what was the prize ? ;)

a tray of chips when we meet at W&P I suspect

How about a chip butty? almost potato bread..:D

Well that's a new one on me, potato flour!!!

I presume the bleaching part of the process is still the same, to ensure the whiteness??

As you say, replace Beets with Potatoes.....

Alec.