Gmc 352 refresh

Hello, i have been asked by a few members to post some info and pictures of my current project,which i hope is of interest to a few?

GMC 352 rag top, yet to establish the year, log book shows 1939 but that cant be correct from my initial review of data on the model.

Was restored it would seem quite well over 20 years ago, parked up in my mates yard by a third party circa 12 years ago and forgoten!!

Luckily the front end had been sheeted well and the cab is in good order, kids had got to the canvas and over the years other items have been nicked that could be easily taken off inc the spare wheels.

over the last six weeks we have when time allows stripped it down to as you can see to assess how far it needs refreshing as i do not see this as a full restoration job.

Awaiting a few more ancillary items to see if she will spark into life.....soon.

More to follow as time allows

IMG_1271.jpg

100.JPG

077.JPG

074.JPG

098.jpg

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG

099.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

Edited by John Comber

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some recent photos of progress, brakes all overhauled , engine runs, will fill with coolant this weekend and let her get warm for a good test.Sand blaster has cleaned off loose panels and the full chassis/wheels/rear body, we are now repairing the rear body where the sandblaster exposed problems!!

Painting of panels with a first coat started, still a fair bit to do, not enough hours to work, enjoy a hobby and keep a happy family!

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

Hi John

I'm pretty sure (although not 100% sure) that I last saw this truck in 1990 at War on the Line show at Ropley Station, near Winchester, Hants.

I took a particular interest in it because at the time we were restoring an identical example and took some photos (somewhere!)

The name of the owner I think (I have a dreadful memory), was maybe 'Phil Atfield?' from Emsworth in Hampshire? It would figure if it were the same truck as, you are roughly in the same neck of the woods and I have never seen that truck that I saw in 1990 on the show circuit since and having had a number of GMC's over the years, I do keep a fairly keen eye out for the various ones on the show circuits.

Whatever the past history, its great to see another CCKW 352 coming back to life again - Keep up the good work! A great result to see that it has a nice wooden wheel. I would speculate (although others on here will tell you exactly) that the date of manufacture is prob 1941/42, as it has the timken Split type axles and is short wheel base. The cab of course could easily have been swapped over the years from what it originally left the factory with, who-knows!

Whatever, it is great to see another CCKW being saved from the rust pile :)

Edited by M5Clive

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks M5Clive for your interest, perhaps you are correct in the history, I am afraid the log book I have does not show any details beyond the last owner, however I will ask when I remember! Here are some more photo's of progress on the job, have been burning the midnight and early morning lamp to push on, nearly there!!IMG_1522 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1465 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1573 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1578 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1606 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1613 (1024x768).jpg

Hi John, like Clive I too have a soft spot for GMC's. I used to own a 'split' axle 352 which Clive will remember and that was built in late December 1943. If you go to the CCKW forum all the information regarding contracts and build dates is listed there as well as much other information. Please keep the photos coming, you are doing an excellent job and she will be a credit to you. If there is anything I can help you with don't hesitate to ask.

• 4 weeks later...

So here is the final part of the refresh for me, i had been fairly full on with the job since January and as everyone knows the time frame you set in mind just falls into insignificance not to mention the budget:shocked: We always had the completion as set to be before the last bank holiday in May as a good friend of mine required it for the film The Monuments Men, just to say the paint was only just dry, and over the three day weekend some good friends rallied round and we put in 40 hours to finish it off, including my kids expertly installing the canvas. Midnight came on bank holiday Monday and the shed lights went out, lowloader came Tuesday at 0930, so its road test was a mere three quarter mile drive to Adrian's to be loaded with an M8. Luckily all went fine with only a minor hitch of an intermittent failing coil which thanks to Hummermark and his filmset tool kit we changed. IMG_1722 (1280x960).jpg Currently trying to finish the Rubery Owen trailer, and squeeze a 16' touring caravan inside, again much more work than I thought! then onto another project, however some family time first:wave:

IMG_1716 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1718 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1719 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1720 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1723 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1724 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1726 (960x1280).jpg

IMG_1727 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1662 (1280x960).jpg