Airfix - the greatest history lesson of all time. ?

Locolines

Yeah fully signed up member here, Wasn't Dick Emery Aircrew in the RAF ?

Possibly aircrew, certainly in the slammer for desertion :-D

It sounds strange now, the pleasure in getting something like one whole penny of a model using a club voucher, but it certainly encouraged me to buy more kits.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me Too! Still buying the kits and making the models. Like others I've collected or built models of all the vehicles I've ever owned. I've got loads of back issues of 'Airfix Magazine' going back to 1970. Lots of scratchbuilding ideas and mods from the mags incorporated into the models - Vehicles, Aircraft and Ships. I'm looking at a display case here which has about 60 models all painted up in the different schemes. Learned how to research the colour schemes and unit markings from the box art and Almark books. How many hours have they occupied I wonder. All the names from yesteryear - Airfix, Matchbox, Monogram, Revell, Tamiya, Italieri. What a great education they provided.

Same here - started on Airfix then expanded to Tamiya, Italeri and so forth. hen i left home my parent gave my collection away - and all my dinky and corgi vehicles inthuer boxes - would have been worth a small fortune right now !!

right now I have the Italeri DUKW and BMP here as works in progress. The BMP having the conversion kit for the OT-90.... Wonder why...